VMware Communities
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Hi!

So, I'm running Windows 10, 64x tech preview. VMware workstation (latest greatest build (10.0.3) installs and it works just fine.

I always link a VMnet to a dedicated physical NIC. (bridge), however, even though I'm able to configure it, it simply doesn't work. The VMnet works fine internally on workstation, but not a single packet seems to be able to transfer to the host.

No firewall running, the VMware bridge drive is installed properly. When I create a host adapter for a virtual network and bridge it with the physical one it works, too. But a direct bridge doesn't work.

Can anyone running Windows 10 64x tech preview confirm this? It's quite simple configured as below.

Schermafdruk 2014-10-03 15.55.01.png

182 Replies
TheQuestion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Michael wrote:

I have a Windows 8.1 as my priomary OS. I have VM's XP, 7, 8.1, 2003, and 2008, and bridging works on all of them.

Well then, shoot a post over at my discussion here: Bridged Network Connection Problems in VMware Workstation 11

If it what you are saying is true, then it shouldn't be too hard to get this up and running.

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

Build 10134, one can right click again, but bridge is still broke

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Build 10135 is the same. Hopefully it get fixed soon...

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

VM has realy droped the ball on this one,  same with hgfs and new kernal, hgfs is broke on kernel newer than 3.16.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think this is a VMware problem. VirtualBox is also having the same problem as VMWare. There have also been reports that WinPcap is also having problems running on Windows 10.

Bridging worked fine on VMware, and VirtualBox on Windows 10041. As soon as the next update happened, bridging stopped working. Also, before 10041 Bridging failed and then worked again up to 10041, and then nothing.

VMware Workstation updated today (6.9.2015) to 11.1.1-2771112 and bridging is still not working.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

There has also been and continues to be very minor problems and I believe this problem with bridging falls under the same category.

Microsoft is explaining these problems as:

We're fixing. Doesn't meet the bar for patching though since it has extremely low impact on ability to use the build.

I believe the above is the reason why we have yet to see a resolution concerning the bridging issue. I believe they are tackling bigger issues, which is natural for this type of development.

0 Kudos
DeV1L
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I discovered same problem after upgrade Windows 10 to 10130. All VMnet adapters in my Workstation 10.0.1 are disappeared and networks in VM's not worked. I made "Repair" in the default installer and everything was well.

111.jpg

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

10158 is out, installing now, lets see how it works.

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

10158 bridge works again,

you have to restore to defualt network innside vmware,  however now again explorer crashes when you try to right click

sir_robin1
Contributor
Contributor

I just did a repair install... works now Smiley Happy schweeeet!!

0 Kudos
LehiCity
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm as well. Insider Preview Build 10159 fixes the bridging issue. You will likely need to open Virtual Network Editor, click on "Change Settings" and then restore defaults.

I am so glad that I will be able to finally have Workstation working properly on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
rykelley
Contributor
Contributor

i can confirm also after a repair build 10159 restores bridging and fix's some other bugs i ran into

0 Kudos
JL69
Contributor
Contributor

This did not work for me in Build 10159, but can confirm that it is now working in Build 10166 after restoring defaults.

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like it is fully fixed in Windows 10 b10240 (RTM!)

Tested with clean install of Win10 and clean install of Workstation 11.1.2.

I assume when you upgrade Win10 a reset defaults in Workstation will be needed...

Maybe we can finally leave this behind us? Also WinPCAP seems to work at first glance...

0 Kudos
Joschka
Contributor
Contributor

My upgrade to Windows 10 deleted my VWware virtual Ethernet adapter that supports Bridged.

1. download VMware-workstation-full-11.1.2-2780323

2. run and choose 'repair'

Problem solved.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

To restore/repair all networking:

• Run the virtual Network Editor as Administrator
  • On the bottom left left-click 'Restore Defaults.

Wala, all networking is reinstalled or repaired...

Metodo_Develop
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem with Windows 10 Final and Workstation 11.

The "Restore Defaults" does the trick and solve the problem!

Now bridge networking works correctly.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
nwieseler
Contributor
Contributor

I wanted to put in my experience here just in case others face the same issue.

Background:

Had a fully functioning WS11 install running on Windows 8.1 x64.  Bridging was working fine, I have multiple USB>Ethernet adapters (wired and otherwise) and life was good.  I decided to do what I'd normally never do and actually UPGRADE from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise - this went well except none of the bridging went well.  I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing etc. and it just wouldn't work. 

Resolution:

The problem for me was I was doing an install using an older 11.0.x ISO...  I ended up downloading the latest ISO and everything installed and worked like a champ.  For what it's worth, I also tried the "Bruce Hack" from earlier in this thread and did get it to work but it was very bothersome to me that it wouldn't "just work".  I almost reinstalled Windows 10 Enterprise from scratch but figured I should try the latest ISO after the last couple posts indicated just a simple "repair" did the trick.

Anyway, hopefully this helps someone.  I know this started as a WS10 thread but I'm guessing the underlying issue was the same.

Nick

0 Kudos
ThomasWERNHER
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Folks Smiley Happy

I ran into the same problem :

i was running a Workstation 9 setup on win 8.1 and migrated yesterday to Windows 10 Pro official upgrade...

what a surprise when the bridging didn't work on my VMs... and to see so much of ye that still have this problem.

i tried all of your workarounds without any luck.

i tried to bridge my wifi NIC with the host only network (which is still a workaround), to restore the vmnet defaults, to change the vmnet 1 and 8 ranges, and so on...

my vm didn't receive any DHCP given ipconfig and fall back on the APIPA.

I finally tried Something that solved the problem.

As my Vms where done on Workstation 9, they had the preconfigured Hardware of Workstation 9.

For your information, i usually work with a Template from which i make linked clones.

so, i took my Windows server 2012 Template and opened it.

from there, i went into Workstation 11 -> VM -> manage -> Change hardware compatibility.

when asked, i choose to make a new clone (which, with a good ssd drive only take a few seconds Smiley Happy )

i started the vm after a quick snapshot and it runs fine Smiley Happy

so, i guess the solution is to change your hardware setup in order for it to be on Workstation 11.

0 Kudos
kompolan
Contributor
Contributor

In the "Virtual Network Editor" click on "Restore Default" at the bottom. This will erase and reset any previous stack bridge configuration in VM network editor and will let you create your WMnets with NIC Bridges all over again.

This has worked for me after having upgraded my Windows 8.1 Host to Windows 10.

0 Kudos