VMware Communities
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Hi!

So, I'm running Windows 10, 64x tech preview. VMware workstation (latest greatest build (10.0.3) installs and it works just fine.

I always link a VMnet to a dedicated physical NIC. (bridge), however, even though I'm able to configure it, it simply doesn't work. The VMnet works fine internally on workstation, but not a single packet seems to be able to transfer to the host.

No firewall running, the VMware bridge drive is installed properly. When I create a host adapter for a virtual network and bridge it with the physical one it works, too. But a direct bridge doesn't work.

Can anyone running Windows 10 64x tech preview confirm this? It's quite simple configured as below.

Schermafdruk 2014-10-03 15.55.01.png

182 Replies
sqlservergeek
Contributor
Contributor

I am on windows 10 (build 10074), none of the options described in this forum works for me. Has any one successfully able to create a VMware instance with networking adapter on that instance on VMWare workstation 11 with Windows 10 (build 10074) as host? This is driving me crazy,  I can create hosts but the instance doesn't have a network adapter.

0 Kudos
David_Petree
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing

I am in the same boat as everyone else

Windows 10 (Build 10074)

Running Workstation 11.1.0 Build 2496824

I can create VM's all day long, but none of them can connect to the network...

I have been forced to just create VM's on Azure and use Online VM's..... This sucks for testing but I guess it is what it is till a good update comes out of Windows 10.

I remember that Workstation use to work back on Windows 10 Build 9924, but it was an  update Microsoft pushed out that killed the network adapters. There was one build where even the Properties button of the IPv4 was greyed out and you could not even press it. So, I guess its still a Microsoft issue and not a VMWare issue. But I wish I was wrong and someone can come up with a solution.

0 Kudos
pikcsi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

Bridging using the windows bridge system works OK for me as suggested here:

Re: Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Kind Regards,

Gabor

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Still not working in the latest 10122. I believe this problem is most likely going to be something VMWare will need to deal with. It appears Windows 10 may have some changes in the way the stack it working?

This is not just VMWare, but with all VS's that are using bridging.

0 Kudos
rykelley
Contributor
Contributor

I jsut upgraded from win 8.1 to build 10122. Bridged was broken but the workaround BruceXiong mentioned worked for me.

0 Kudos
chrisaleu_sorin
Contributor
Contributor

BruceXiong's suggestion, Re: Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge, works like a charm in WIndows 10 Build 10125 where even NAT is broken in VMware Workstation 11.  Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
sqlservergeek
Contributor
Contributor

My problem is i don't see a N/w adapter at all, i think i am missing something really simple because same issue exists on Windows 7.  Has anyone experienced this issue?

0 Kudos
weejake
Contributor
Contributor

i have tried this fix many times and it does not work with my set up.

i will be waiting until someone fixes either the workstation or windows 10

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Right-click Virtual Network Editor and run as Administrator. Press the Restore defaults button. Left-click and Highlight the existing Host-only adaptor. Drop down and remove the check mark from Use local DHCP service...

Now go into you network adapters. The Host-only should be VMnet1. Now highlight your live network adaptor and the VMnet1 adaptor. Right-click on one of the adaptors while they are selected and left-click bridge.

That's it for Windows.

Now go into your VM and have it use VMnet1. If you are running a DHCP server (could be from your router)  It will pull a IP from that. If not you'll need to manually add a static address.

I have two NIC's and I'm using the second NIC for my VM connection.

0 Kudos
weejake
Contributor
Contributor

Finally it clicked...it was my actual VM's network adapter in the settings page that needed to be changed from "bridged" to "host only"

thank you very much for the guidance

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

Build 10130, is by far worst so far, I am unable to edit any nettwork settings, when ever i go in to the network adapter settings, explorer reboots.

even when i run commands from powershell i crash Network Command Shell on

"netsh bridge show adapter"

0 Kudos
atadros
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, build 10130 is fubar with network connections, crashes explorer whenever I try to right click on anything. Right after upgrading I didn't even have ethernet connection and I had to go into device manager and uninstall/reinstall before it was fixed.

Only way I can get internet on my VM now is via a USB wifi adapter passed through the VM directly.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not getting the rebooting. However I deleted the adapter and when rebooted it came back. I entered in the same IP and it gave me an error stating the IP was being used on another adaptor, and the error message was pointing to the adaptor I was trying to install the IP.

Something is wrong, and this is supposed to be completed in two months...

0 Kudos
weejake
Contributor
Contributor

guys

in the virtual network editor delete all except the vmnet1

highlight vmnet1 and untick use local dhcp

goto windows

open network and sharing center

change adapter settings

highlight both your network adapter and the remaining vm adapter and bridge those connections

it takes about a minute because a driver needs to be installed.

the new bridged adapter is coloured green

right click the properties of the new adapters and highlight internet protocol version 4 properties

for me i have a static ip address assigned to my pc

i found that when i changed the settings in here and closed it lost the default gateway address.

i had to go back in and reinput the default gateway address

it then identified the network

after this i went then to my vm machine settings and highlighted the network adapter 1 and at the network connection setting i changed it to host only..on all my vm machines.

rebooted the pc

and all was well

0 Kudos
atadros
Contributor
Contributor

Your instructions would work fine on any build below Windows 10 build 10130, but here is a gif that shows what happens when I try to do what you said on Windows 10 build 10130:

http://i.imgur.com/nJhCqRi.gif

As you can see, it crashes explorer whenever I try to right click on anything or click on Advanced.

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case (updated from before b10000 until 10130), explorer didn't crash but after creating the bridge, I got a warning "unexpected error" and the bridge didn't work.

Same warning when trying to manually add the VMware Bridge Protocol Service...

I'm tired of this and decided (after 3 months of issues with Win10) to return to 8.1 untill the RTM...

(Winpcap also *never* worked as it should, which means broken nmap & wireshark)

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed, both VM and MS is ignoring this issue, even through TAP connection i got no response from Microsoft on this.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Bridging didn't work, then it did work, and after 10041 it has yet to work. MS has problems with networking, and I'm sure this is their problem. With 10130 if you have a static IP on your NIC, uninstall the NIC, and then add it back, the original IP that was on the NIC is no longer available.

0 Kudos
TheQuestion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Michael wrote:

Bridging didn't work, then it did work, and after 10041 it has yet to work. MS has problems with networking, and I'm sure this is their problem. With 10130 if you have a static IP on your NIC, uninstall the NIC, and then add it back, the original IP that was on the NIC is no longer available.

I don't think it's a Microsoft problem, and here's why. I can't get bridged networking to work on a Windows 7 host! I Google searched this problem, and people are having troubles with bridged networking for XP, Vista, 7, and 8. And now that 10 is out, it shouldn't come as a surprise that bridged networking doesn't work for that either. Considering how posts about bridged networking not functioning go back as far as 2003, I'd say it's safe to assume it's a HUGE VMware problem, and NOT a Microsoft problem. The developers need to get off their lazy arses, and finally fix it for once.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Windows 8.1 as my priomary OS. I have VM's XP, 7, 8.1, 2003, and 2008, and bridging works on all of them.

You may not be properly setting it up correctly. Run Virtual network editor as Administrator. Restore the defaults.

You should have a VMnet0 and that is your bridging adaptor.

2015-06-01_12-27-00.png

You mentioned host, and bridging has nothing to do with the host adaptor.

In you VM it should only be:

2015-06-01_12-27-27.png

That's all I do and bridging works. My router DHCP server is assigning IP's to the VM's

0 Kudos