VMware Communities
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Hi!

So, I'm running Windows 10, 64x tech preview. VMware workstation (latest greatest build (10.0.3) installs and it works just fine.

I always link a VMnet to a dedicated physical NIC. (bridge), however, even though I'm able to configure it, it simply doesn't work. The VMnet works fine internally on workstation, but not a single packet seems to be able to transfer to the host.

No firewall running, the VMware bridge drive is installed properly. When I create a host adapter for a virtual network and bridge it with the physical one it works, too. But a direct bridge doesn't work.

Can anyone running Windows 10 64x tech preview confirm this? It's quite simple configured as below.

Schermafdruk 2014-10-03 15.55.01.png

182 Replies
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem as have hit random users. Remove VMware. Uninstall ALL your network adaptors. Don't forget that uninstalling will blow all the networking settings out, and you will need to reenter them after you reinstall . Scan for new hardware allowing your network adaptors to reinstall, and then install VMWare fresh.

0 Kudos
Seththomas
Contributor
Contributor

similar issue here no network for windows 8.1, 7 nor MINT running windows 10 b10041 w/workstation 10.

resolved the issue by running the "virtual network editor" reset defaults. I did not have to reinstall  VMware.

restarted all my vm's connected LAN and Internet.

windows 10 b10041 running smoothly although I run "troubleshoot compatibility" on every new program install.

0 Kudos
valvarnava
Contributor
Contributor

Windows bridge for vmware works good in w10tp confirm ! Replay to 40.BruceXiong .Thank you.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

If you are having issues with VMWare's adaptors  than most likely you are having problems accessing the network adaptor settings for your PC.  Right click and see if you are able to get to the network settings of every network card. For some reason Windows 10 has a problem with a few systems, and removing the network adaptor and then allowing the OS to detect and install again will resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
vmwarevirtual
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Vmware Workstation Buddies ,

I think the issues not just happened on Windows 10 but  also  windows 8 and Windows 2012 , with installed workstation 10 . The status on Bridge connection still no connection status show up. But it works on VM guest  which can get ip  on the same network segment as for host. My workstation version is 11.1.0 build-2496824 . It is latest build one so far. I hope the  product aware this and have the fix on next build .

My screen shot on virtual network editor

virtual network editor.JPG

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Are you saying bridge connections are not working?

I'd look at a different problem then what was happening with 10.

No problems with bridged connection on 8, or 2012, for me anyway.

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

To go back to the original thread: Windows 10 b10049 HAS THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM.

So VMware bridging does not work, problem with Windows network stack (still): when trying to manually add the VMware Bridge Protocol to my network adapters, Win10 throws me an "interface not supported" error.

So do not upgrade to 10049 if you want full Workstation functionality.

MS really needs to start moving to debugging, especially on the network stack, because e.g. WinPCAP doesn't work either and I can't easily reach half my SMB shares ...

Regards,

Tijl

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed that aswell, the update it self took also about  8 hours to install. so QA on this one was bad

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure as I switched to the slow track because of Spartan. Still on 10041 and bridging is still working. These types of things are expected with BETA. You might want to roll back to 10041, and go the slow track on this one Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
teloi
Contributor
Contributor

i also have the same problem, network bridge no working at all, please resolve it for us. indeed necessary

0 Kudos
bgh89928
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you try changing your workstation's MAC address?

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I installed the 10061 build and the bridge lan is again broken 😞

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

You beat me to it :smileysilly:

when i try ti create vmware0 as bridge i get this error:

vmwarewin10.png

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

same error for me ;-(

Marco

0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

try win10 TP 10041.  win10 TP 10051/10056/10064 have problems for bridge mode. we are working on that (win10 might broken again and ms might need a fix).

0 Kudos
4CylinderSoul
Contributor
Contributor

In this post here i provided a temporary solution for the not working bridge connection

VMware Workstation temporary solution for not working bridge on win 10

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Window 10071 still has a broken Bridged connection Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
keithlammersBFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's most definitely a bug in these Windows 10 builds. I can't even manually try to add a Service (which I believe is what VMware uses for bridging) to the network adapter.

0 Kudos
pikcsi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

This is not only happening with VMWare but the same thing is experienced on Virtual Box. It seems Microsoft is screwing with users that are using virtualization... The is no reason they should be cycling the code that breaks the networking for virtualization between releases.

0 Kudos