VMware Communities
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Hi!

So, I'm running Windows 10, 64x tech preview. VMware workstation (latest greatest build (10.0.3) installs and it works just fine.

I always link a VMnet to a dedicated physical NIC. (bridge), however, even though I'm able to configure it, it simply doesn't work. The VMnet works fine internally on workstation, but not a single packet seems to be able to transfer to the host.

No firewall running, the VMware bridge drive is installed properly. When I create a host adapter for a virtual network and bridge it with the physical one it works, too. But a direct bridge doesn't work.

Can anyone running Windows 10 64x tech preview confirm this? It's quite simple configured as below.

Schermafdruk 2014-10-03 15.55.01.png

182 Replies
BruceXiong
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have found a WORKAROUND here:

you can use windows' bridge feature, instead of VMware's.

Steps:

1. Open Virtual Network Editor

2. Add Network "VMnet*"

3. Choose "NAT" or "Host only", NOT "Bridged"

4. Check Connect a host virtual adapter to this network

5. Make DHCP unchecked

4. Open Windows Network panel

6. Choose "VMware Network Adapter VMnet*" and your physical network card, right click, choose "Bridge"

7. Wait for a moment, you will see a "Network Bridge" adapter

8. Configure network in VM, DONE!

QQ截图20150205125052.png

QQ截图20150205122907.png

中文(Chinese):http://www.cnblogs.com/brucex/p/4274466.html

- 打开 Workstation 的“编辑”菜单中的“虚拟网络编辑器”

- 添加网络“VMnet*”

- 设为“仅主机模式”或者“NAT”都可以

- 勾选“将主机适配器连接到此网络”

- 去掉勾选“DHCP”服务

- 打开“控制面板\网络和 Internet\网络连接”

- 复选中对应的“VMware Network Adapter VMnet*”和物理网卡适配器(如“以太网”),右击“桥接”

- 出现“Network Bridge”适配器,桥接成功

- 进入虚拟机,配置网络

- 结束

reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BruceXiong - you are a legend.  Your workaround worked a treat for me.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

I'm unable to add NAT as a new network, as there is already one created (VMnet8). Is it possible to use the existing NAT (VMnet8) connection and disable DHCP and then bridge that connection? The guide says to create one but it's not possible when there is one already created.

It appears that you can only create another HOST network, and then bridge that.

0 Kudos
Bane612
Contributor
Contributor

谢谢 BruceXiong

Correct if you already have a NAT than you won't be able to create another one in VNE however you can simply just select Host Only instead & continue to follow the previous poster's instructions.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure of at what point you can create a NAT connection in the instructions as it appears you can only create a HOST.

I did find out that it messes with the RDP, and for some reason my network bandwidth monitor quits monitoring that specific adaptor. I didn't look for a solution.

I had an extra NIC installed and just bridged the new VMnet2 connection to the extra NIC.

Still not real sure; are we waiting on VMware or Microsoft to fix the problem?

0 Kudos
BruceXiong
Contributor
Contributor

If there is already a NAT adapter, you can't create a new one. But you can simply bridge it with you physical card if you like.

0 Kudos
osterluk
Contributor
Contributor

To see vnet0, try starting VMWare or VNE as administrator.

0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

first, this is win10 bug and no fix from ms latest win10 even VMware reported4 months ago. vmware

could provide workaround in the bridge driver but need to get ms certification.

0 Kudos
JHAres
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure about a Win10 bug.... I was using Win10 with VMWare 11 preview and was working fine.... with WMWare 11 final version, was not....

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

Any progress on this issue?

still same issue on 9926

0 Kudos
zazzn
Contributor
Contributor

I have this issue as well I'm fairly certain it's a win 10 latest revision problem/vmware. I can get it to pick up the NAT address if i use DHCP on the nat or any other interface but VMware cant seem to pick up my NIC.

Very strange, I bet it will work host only as well.

0 Kudos
osterluk
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still having the Bridge problem with VMWare 11 and Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9926.  I had a long session with VMWare Support last week.  He wasn't aware of this problem (which surprised me), and was unable to resolve it.  He advised that I just wait for future builds.  This week, there is a new VMWare 11.1.0 build-2496824, but it still did not help.

0 Kudos
zazzn
Contributor
Contributor

Yep this weeks VMware 11 update didn't work either.2496824

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Is this really a VMware issue?

0 Kudos
1NIght1
Contributor
Contributor

Weather or not it is a VM or MS issue it is still an  issue that should be addressed by both parties until resolved

zazzn
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly ^^ well said. We don't care whose issue it is, we are the customer fix the damn thing.

0 Kudos
Jeffmw
Contributor
Contributor

Yes!  Let's get this fixed.

0 Kudos
JHAres
Contributor
Contributor

I find hard to believe VMWare was not tested (at least not fully) in the upcoming Windows platform.... unbelievable....

0 Kudos
nutw
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me! Thank you.

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do blame Microsoft, I have tested WS10 and 11 (all builds but the last) on Windows 10 (all builds but the last) and *never* has Workstation performed flawlessly. Either the VMs closing down, caused Windows to crash completely or there were Networking Issues ...

Since MS is changing their builds every 2-3 weeks or so, it shouldn't be VMWare testing their solution on that beta platform. Now that WS is out beta, I expect more & faster work from MS.

0 Kudos