VMware Communities
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Hi!

So, I'm running Windows 10, 64x tech preview. VMware workstation (latest greatest build (10.0.3) installs and it works just fine.

I always link a VMnet to a dedicated physical NIC. (bridge), however, even though I'm able to configure it, it simply doesn't work. The VMnet works fine internally on workstation, but not a single packet seems to be able to transfer to the host.

No firewall running, the VMware bridge drive is installed properly. When I create a host adapter for a virtual network and bridge it with the physical one it works, too. But a direct bridge doesn't work.

Can anyone running Windows 10 64x tech preview confirm this? It's quite simple configured as below.

Schermafdruk 2014-10-03 15.55.01.png

182 Replies
JHAres
Contributor
Contributor

Marco.... now I can confirm.... Win10 9879 freezes when shutdown or suspend a VM... Bad news... 😕

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

even with Workstation 10? If so, very big bad news 😞

Marco

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, also with Workstation 10. I can confirm that there is a big problem with Workstation 10 and 11 on Win 10 TP B9879.

Does anyone now a way to downgrade back to build 9860?

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

you can try with a system refresh: Start->PC Settings->Update and Recovery->Recovery and then choose to recovery your system. I tried this to recover from a problem on build 9860: sincerely I don't tried it from 9879 to 9860 so I don't know if it is work properly, i.e., I don't know if it stop the recover to 9860 or it recover until the build 9841.

Let us know if you resolved.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I can confirm: I just completely wiped my laptop, installed Windows 10 TP 9841. Workstation 11 works, without Networking or BSOD/Crash problems

However, I intended to just perform the single update (Slow) to 9860, but it went immediately to 9879.

In that version, Windows just hangs when shutting down (Power Off/Shut Down) or restoring snapshots (potentially even corrupting the VMX!).

So, until the Customer Release in January I decided to return to Win 8.1 Smiley Happy

Regards

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

only to confirm that the update from build 9841 to 9860 doesn't work and so it jumps directly to the 9879; I tried it last week and have no problem to update to build 9860, maybe Microsoft has decided that insiders must test more intensive the last build.

I've also seen that the refresh from 9879 doesn't work, maybe beacuse there is no more build 9860.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it seems MS considers it a good build. They even releases an ISO for it.

I wonder if the released final of Workstation 11 solves the issues?

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I read in some post that in VMWare are investigating the problem, but it seems that Workstation 10 has the same issue.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

workstation 10/11 bridge problem on windows 10 TP: VMware  talked to Microsoft and they confirmed they 'will' fix it. But

tested on latest windows 10 TP 9883, the bridge problem still there. No fix from Microsoft.

0 Kudos
JHAres
Contributor
Contributor

www23456 , please check that again....

Workstation 11 works fine, even bridge mode, in Win10 any build (tested 4 builds) even 9888..... BUT ... freezes Windows on Suspend or Power Off the VM.... only way to avoid this is kill VMWare in Task Manager....

Kind regards...!!!

Javier.

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running Window 10 Pro Technical Preview Build 9926 with updates installed today. I have VMware Workstation 11 running with a Win7 guest OS. I can't connect using NAT or Bridge to the host machine network. Tried all suggestions in this thread, no luck. If anyone came across updated information, would appreciate passing it along. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I tried nested virtualisation today:

Win8.1x64 with Workstation 11 with Win10 b9926 with Player 7 with Debian 7 and the network inside the Debian works when using NAT.

Trying Bridged now ...

However something strange is happening inside my Win10TP, some letters are not quit correct ... (see attachment).

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have the same problem resolved in Virtual Network Editor with restore default settings: now it works.

Marco

Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does not help here. Installed it natively, NAT has always worked, but Bridged adapter does not seem to work (get APIPA inside VM).

Restore Defaults does not work.

Regards

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the suggestion. It worked for me. I couldn't get NAT or bridged to work but after setting to default values as you suggested, it is working fine.

0 Kudos
Photubias
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Still no luck here, using build 9226.

NAT always works but bridging does not

Restoring default does not work and even manually setting the Bridge to one of my network adapters does not help.

I do see that the bridge installed correctly on my native adapters.

Running VMware Workstation as Administrator does not help either.

0 Kudos
CobraBytez21
Contributor
Contributor

Same here, build 9226 - NAT works but bridged will not function on Linux/Windows.  Hoping for a resolution.

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

This is happening to me too. Nat is working but Bridged is not. I spent several hours making every kind of configuration change that was posted here. Still no luck, and back to 8.1 until a fix is in place.

I wish I would have found this topic several days ago.

0 Kudos
newbieger
Contributor
Contributor

hi all,

same here, bridged not working:

- windows 10 9926

- vmware 11 (build 2305329)

things i've tried:

- repair install

- reinstall

- linux and windows guest

- reset network config

nothing....

0 Kudos
VM_Michael
Contributor
Contributor

As of 2/4/2015 with the latest Microsoft Windows 10 updates the Bridged network connection is STILL not working.

Is this a Microsoft problem or is it a VMWare issue?

0 Kudos