VMware Communities
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10, Workstation 10, no LAN bridge

Hi!

So, I'm running Windows 10, 64x tech preview. VMware workstation (latest greatest build (10.0.3) installs and it works just fine.

I always link a VMnet to a dedicated physical NIC. (bridge), however, even though I'm able to configure it, it simply doesn't work. The VMnet works fine internally on workstation, but not a single packet seems to be able to transfer to the host.

No firewall running, the VMware bridge drive is installed properly. When I create a host adapter for a virtual network and bridge it with the physical one it works, too. But a direct bridge doesn't work.

Can anyone running Windows 10 64x tech preview confirm this? It's quite simple configured as below.

Schermafdruk 2014-10-03 15.55.01.png

182 Replies
donod
Contributor
Contributor

Well, in the tech preview of Workstation 11 (thats Windows 10 running Workstation 11) it just works Smiley Happy. I would still be grateful if someone could confirm this issue!

0 Kudos
Bane612
Contributor
Contributor

Hello donod,

The issues you have reported are the exact same problem i'm having. I tried re-install VMtools on all of my guest systems no luck so far.

0 Kudos
olekoeckemann
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem for me. Bridging does not work.

Tried to reinstall vmware tools on the guest machine.. and a reset of all network settings from the host system. I also temporary disabled firewall on guest and host system.

NO SUCCESS

Guest system is windows 7, Host is Windows 10 TP)

A POSSIBLE WORKAROUND:

Switch guest system(s) to NAT instead. But this requires to setup port forwarding (if necessary)

0 Kudos
alexdarkk
Contributor
Contributor

Similar problem.Help me

0 Kudos
olekoeckemann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi alexdarkk

have you tried NAT instead?

0 Kudos
alexdarkk
Contributor
Contributor

nat is work, bridge no work all vitrual machine

http://s013.radikal.ru/i322/1410/ff/3d3a861ee62a.png

альтернативный текст.

0 Kudos
Bane612
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone confirm if Vmware preview: vmware-workstation-full-e.x.p-1946049 guests works in bridge mode?

0 Kudos
olekoeckemann
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bane612,

just downloaded the  vmware-workstation-full-e.x.p-1946049 and and updated vmware tools on the guest machine.

But it does NOT SEEM to work with Bridging. Only NAT.

Can anyone confirm sporadical freeze on guest systems when using Windows 10 as host?

I have the impression that this freeze has something to do with network card

Removed the Network adapter from guest system and still sporadical freezes, So its off topic here ;-)...

In addition to this I often get the below error:

vmware-ws-preview-autologin-error.PNG

0 Kudos
Bane612
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Olekoeckemann,

As much as I enjoyed using windows tech preview I had to revert back to using win8.1 until a solution is posted. Thanks for your quick reply Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
olekoeckemann
Contributor
Contributor

Bane612

i was fighting with it and now i actually got it running in bridged mode.

The strange thing, I dont see VMnet0 in the Virtual Network Editor anymore...

So I have to correct myself and confirm that BRIDGING IS WORKING on vmware 10 and windows 10 TP has host system.

Removing all hardware devices in guest system and add them completely new, when using an existing VM does the trick

0 Kudos
Bane612
Contributor
Contributor

remove all hardware you mean everything including hard drives, sound card, USB controller, display & network card?

0 Kudos
olekoeckemann
Contributor
Contributor

Bane612

Well, I had only memory, processor display and one harddrive left. Not sure about USB.

The rest I have removed from the settings of the existing VM.

Then I did a reboot, then shutdown, then I added network in bridged mode, powered on the machine and it was working...

As I have already written in my previous post, the strange thing is I do not have the VMnet0 anymore in the VNE, see screenshot below. But its working!

vmware-ws-preview-VNE.PNG

0 Kudos
JHAres
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried the ideas in this post.... Still not working here....

Any other ideas or tests I can do ???

Thanks....!!!

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

if you click on "Change Settings" it runs as Administrator and then you'll probably see the VMnet0. If not the case, it is because when you update your Windows 10 TP from the first version to the second (at this moment I don't remember build number), I don't know why Windows destroy the VMnet0 and you can recreate it simply by click on "Restore Defaults".

This is my experience with Windows 10 TP and the last preview version of Workstation 11.

I have however the same problem of the post with Windows 10 TP and Workstation 10.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Can anyone confirm sporadical freeze on guest systems when using Windows 10 as host?

I have the impression that this freeze has something to do with network card

Removed the Network adapter from guest system and still sporadical freezes, So its off topic here ;-)...

sincerely I noticed that if you install the last build of Windows 10 TP and try to stop a virtual machine, the notebook that I have goes blocked and after some time I receive a BSOD: terrible experience.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

0 Kudos
JHAres
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Marco,

I have no luck with any solution like that in VMWware 10... the only way was install VMWare 11...

Now everything work as expected.

Regards...!

Javier.

0 Kudos
JHAres
Contributor
Contributor

Marco,

With last Win10 build (9879) I had a couple of random freezes even when I'm not running VMWare... so it's Win10 fault, I think...

Regards !

Javier.

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Javier,

I think so. For my experience, quick experience because I have uninstalled it because of the freeze problem when I stop virtual machines, I have freeze only in that situation..but as I said, I tested a little and then uninstalle. However I read that th last edition is very buggy.

--

Regards,

Marco Mangiante

0 Kudos
marcomangiante
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

today I have done the same thing. Uninstalled Workstation 10 and installed Workstation 11 Preview and now it works. So, it seems that Workstation 11 works well only on Windows 10 Preview 9860 and 9841 and not on the last build (but it seems that this behaviour is caused by Windows itself), while Workstation 10 seems buggy with "bridge connection" on 9860 and I have experienced the same problem even on 9841.

Last notice: if you have Workstation 11 Preview and update from 9841 to 9860 Windows build you experience the same problem and the solution that I found is restore the network initial settings in the Virtual Network Editor.

I experienced this.

--

Regards,

Marco

0 Kudos