VMware Communities
bjolene
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 VM, slow performance USB 3.0

Hello.

We are experiencing slow performance in Windows 10 VMs using USB 3.0.  We are using VMWare Workstation 12.5.6.  We have the Microsoft USB 3.0 eXtensible host controller installed and a USB 3.0 Cypress FX3 driver for our hardware.  Has anyone else experienced slow USB 3.0 performance with Windows 10 in VMWare Workstation?  Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello bjolene,

Are you seeing a drop from the previous Workstation ? Or is this the first time you are using this device with workstation ? Can you please follow the below KB

Problems using some USB devices in a virtual machine (774) | VMware KB

and see if adding any of the quirks help? If not, please send us the vmware.log with usb.analyzer.enable = "true" added in your .vmx file as the above article suggests.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
drueter
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing:  slow data transfer from within a guest on VMWare Workstation 12.5.6 when writing to USB3 attached drives connected to the Win10 Host.

I have been working with this USB3 setup under VMWare about 6 months.  (In my case the guest OS is FreeNAS).

I notice that the guest does detect the USB3 devices and reports them at 400Mbs devices, but actual transfer rate is much lower--more like USB2 speeds.  I also notice that the CPU (Intel Core i5-6500T) is fairly taxed during transfers (85% or more, with nothing else running).

Prior to 6 months ago, I couldn't make USB3 devices work at all in this setup.  Subsequent updates (mostly to the guest OS) improved things considerable.

It seems to me like USB3 support is still new, is difficult to make work (even on native hardware without VMWare in the mix), and that USB3 is now working on VMWare--but does put a lot of load on the CPU.

I am hopping that future updates to VMWare Workstation will improve performance of USB3 transfers, but there may be practical limits to the maximum transfer performance possible in a virtual machine.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Drueter,

1. Is the usb device connected to a USB 3.0 port on the host?

2. From VM->Settings Please verify the usb compatibility. Is it set to 3.0 ? Only then will a usb 3.0 host controller(Xhci ) will be connected to your virtual machine.

3. If the above 2 are true, when you connect the usb device to the vm, can you please send us the output of lsusb -vt ? This will provide the clarification, whether the device is actually connected to a 3.0 controller in the guest.

Thanks,

Ruchira.

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Latest version of VMware Workstation v14.1.1 and USB performance isn't stellar. Was just testing out a old Netgear WNDA3100 Wi-Fi dongle. When connected to my PC via USB 3, it gets 150Mbps. When used in VM with USB 3, it gets about 60Mbps. I assume that USB hardware can't be virtualised and it's therefore going through a software layer which would explain the speed difference.

0 Kudos