VMware Communities
akmartinez1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 VM Slow in Ubuntu 22.04 Host Workstation Pro 16.2.4 build-20089737

Hello,

I did a very quick search for this topic and all I found were posts from several years ago and/or not related to Workstation Pro 16.
Forgive me if this is being covered in another post and just link me there if you know of it.

I'm trying to create a Windows 10 Pro x64 VM in an Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and the performance of the vm is frustratingly slow.
I've tried different configs of the vm with the processor/core counts and the allocated amount of RAM and nothing seems to make a difference.  Installing the VMWare tools doesn't improve the performance.

I feel that the system I'm running it on is adequate to run this VM.  I've installed a Parrot OS vm on this same system/host os and it runs well without and known/visible issues.

Just a quick spec of my desktop.  Please let me know if any more information is needed..

Intel i9-10850k
129GB RAM
Three 1TB nvme SSD's
One 2TB SATA SSD
One 4TB SATA SSD
2 4TB HDD's
ASUS RTX 3070 Graphics

I'm trying to create the vm as one virtual HD instead of segmented into pieces.
I'm trying to create the vm HD onto the 4TB SATA SSD.

I've disabled the 3d Graphics.
I've done a combination of 2 CPU's and 2 Cores or 2 CPU's and 1 Core.
I've allocated at least 16GB of RAM.  I've allocated 32GB of RAM on a couple of attempts.

I've set the networking to Bridged.

I don't know what else to attempt at the moment.

I'm using VMWare Workstation Pro 16.2.4 build-20089737

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

P.S.  I'm getting more comfortable with using Linux but still consider myself a noob so I might not know how to get bits of information without searching how or adjusting config files without knowing where they are...  but I'm willing to learn and try...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you try this and see if it fixes the issue 

With VM shutdown - Under Edit, Preference, Memory - the setting for Additional Memory was set to "Allow some virtual machine memory to be swapped"  Change this to "Fit all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you try this and see if it fixes the issue 

With VM shutdown - Under Edit, Preference, Memory - the setting for Additional Memory was set to "Allow some virtual machine memory to be swapped"  Change this to "Fit all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM"

akmartinez1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was going to test this out for a day at least but it does look like it has made a dramatic difference!

Everything looks to be running very smoothly as desired/expected.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
andrewreid91
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesome !

0 Kudos
sprickw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't see this option with VMware Player. Any hints?

0 Kudos
eek12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dont have this option in version 17 under ubuntu 22.04 what can i do?

0 Kudos
Joffer77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Its not on the VM but in Workstation Pro itself. You have to run it as root/sudo to change the setting:

VMware Workstation > Edit > Preferences > Memory

Joffer77_0-1683028686206.png

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/17/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-6652C77B-7156-46C5...

0 Kudos