VMware Communities
brianvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 USB problems

Problem with Windows 10 and both VMware Workstation 10 and 12

When connecting a Windows 10 Mobile device to the usb port,  device shows up as a Windows Phone OK in Windows 10 host and shows up in Workstation Removable Devices list.  But upon connecting to Windows 10 Guest the device doesn't show up in the Device Manager or File Explorer.  I checked the list of driver files associated with the Windows Phone device in Device Manager.  Those same files exist in the Windows 10 guest.

Also noticed that on the Windows 10 Guest the IpOverUsbSvc windows service does not start when the Guest System is started even though it is set as Automatic Start.  The service can be started manually.

Running Windows 10 1511 on host and guest.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
brianvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After some more searching, the following resolved my problem:

Shutdown VM

1. Upgrade my VM hardware configuration from Workstation 10 to Workstation 12.  (The VM was created as a Windows 8.1 VM under WS10 & then upgraded to Windows 10)

2. Convert VM OS version from Windows 8.1 x64 to Windows 10 x64.

Upon booting the VM, I am now able to successfully move the usb connected Windows 10 Mobile device between the Host machine and the Guest VM.

However, the IpOverUsbSvc windows service does not start when the Guest System is started?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
brianvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After some more searching, the following resolved my problem:

Shutdown VM

1. Upgrade my VM hardware configuration from Workstation 10 to Workstation 12.  (The VM was created as a Windows 8.1 VM under WS10 & then upgraded to Windows 10)

2. Convert VM OS version from Windows 8.1 x64 to Windows 10 x64.

Upon booting the VM, I am now able to successfully move the usb connected Windows 10 Mobile device between the Host machine and the Guest VM.

However, the IpOverUsbSvc windows service does not start when the Guest System is started?

0 Kudos