VMware Communities
Asteroza
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Spring Creators Update (Redstone 4)(RS4)(1803) host status?

I have been reading that as part of increasing security measures, Microsoft is planning on rolling out Credential Guard/Device Guard and HVCI features to all SKU's in this windows 10 release. With Hyper-V effectively on by default, this will basically screw everyone running even slightly older VMware products on windows 10.

Microsoft allegedly is pushing to provide nested hypervisor functionality to Hyper-V to support VMware use cases via a new API for this new windows 10 release, but I haven't seen much about this. Regardless, if VMware does move to support this new API, I would imagine a new major release number, and corresponding license upgrade fees.

Has there been more definitive news regarding using Workstation in a credential guard and HVCI enabled environment (which will be the default in the future), or are we still stuck with disabling all that?

UPDATE

Here's that API stuff from microsoft, now called Windows Hypervisor Platform (WHPX)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/api/

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pwilk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I doubt if much is going to change with this SC update for Windows 10. I'd also disagree with this feature forcing VMware to release new version of Workstation. Windows 10 Credential Guard and VMware Workstation 14 - VMware Blogs - VMware Blogs

Cheers, Paul Wilk
0 Kudos
Asteroza
Contributor
Contributor

That link only describes enabling VBS/CG/DG/HVCI guest functionality (which effectively requires nested hypervisor capability, which Workstation can provide).

I'm asking about running workstation the host.

0 Kudos
puffel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having problem with VMWare Workstation 14.1.1 build-7528167, after a Windows 10 update last weekend (Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803).

It was working ok before update, and now it dropped into a loop of Error: CG/DB

and Error: Hyper-V

after rebooting, when I try to start up any VM. I've also posted the question over here:

VMWare Workstation cannot run on Windows 10 after recent update to Windows 10 - Stack Overflow

Hopefully someone can provide me with resolution soon.

This is urgent for me now.

Thanks and regards,

Weishan

P.S.: Why the screenshot cannot display after submit? It looks good in in the edit view:(

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

On the Windows 10 April 2018 (1803) host go to Windows Defender Security Centre > Device Security > Core Isolation and disabled the settings there?

0 Kudos