VMware Communities
nico_heinze
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Pro host, Workstation 12.5 Pro, error 1053 starting any VM

Hi everybody,

sorry for this seemingly stupid question, I haven't found anything helpful about this error on this forum nor on Google (maybe I'm too blind Smiley Wink).

My laptop runs Windows 10 Pro (German version). I'm trying to start a Windows 2008 R2 vm that was created under Workstation 10.0.7 on a Windows 7 laptop (I have moved away from this laptop after my former employer has fired me).

Trying to start any this (or in fact any other) VM on my Win10 laptop yields the following error (almost instantaneously):

VMWare Workstation failed to start the VMWare Authorization Service. You can try manually starting the VMWare Authorization Service. If this problem persists, contact VMWare Support.

Going to the Services panel, trying to start the service, got the following error message (also almost instantaneously):

[please note that I'm translating this on the fly, my German Windows of course shows a German message]

Service "VMWare Authorization Service" on "local computer" cannot be started.

Error 1053: the service did not respond in time to the start or control request.

Again, both error messages (the one in VMWare and the one in the Windows 10 Services panel) appear almost instantaneously.

What I've found refers to registry keys not existing on my laptop (because I don't use vSphere but VMWare Workstation) or did not work (setting the check box Allow Exchange of Data between Service and Desktop).

What can I do? Any and all hints would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a million in advance!

Kind regards,

Nico Heinze

in-factory GmbH, Germany

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wangeryan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Would you please try to un-install Workstation Pro and install Workstation12.5.7 again? If you still hit the issue, you can open the cmd and paste the output of "sc query vmx86" here?

0 Kudos