VMware Communities
PeterEvans59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit host for VMWare Workstation 11.1.2 build 2780323

Currently running VMWare Workstation 11.1.2 build 2780323 on Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit host

As the title suggests I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Has anyone experienced any compatibility issues going from a Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit host for the current version of VMWare Workstation (11.1.2)?

Could you please advise?

Thanks

Peter

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Lot's of people have reported issues with USB no longer working in the guest.

For example see here:

USB Device Passthrough Failure Workstation 11 Windows 10 x64 Host

So if you depend on that feature I would suggest to wait until VMware officially supports Windows 10 as a host OS, which it does not yet do so.

For the rest it seems to work from what I read here (as you might have guessed I do not yet have a Windows 10 host down here, I do run it as a guest though)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
PeterEvans59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Will,

Thanks for that, think I will wait then until VMware officially support Windows 10 as host.

Peter

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

They (VMware) released Workstation 12 yesterday and that supports Windows 10 as a host.

Here's their VMware Workstation 12 Pro Release Notes

I would expect support for Windows 10 as a host for Workstation 11 in the next update, but I've been wrong before.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

maybe do: uninstall VMware ws and then do upgrade to win10, then reinstall the VMware workstation.

0 Kudos