VMware Communities
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 OS trying to open win 7 VMware

Hi I cloned a win 7 machine today and when I opened it on a win 10 machine with v16 VMware the vm boots up to windows and then after a while the blue screen pops up but I didn’t take a picture 🤦🏼‍♂️ 
It said something like this 

image.jpg

 any ideas how I can get this to work 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

From what you say, I’m assuming you’ve cloned a physical machine. Can you provide details on the process you used to clone it? 

The picture you posted is unreadable. And “something like this” is not really good enough to troubleshoot. (Blue screens have lots of different causes). Could you post a screen shot from a computer instead of a picture of the screen?

If this was a clone of a physical machine, my inclination is that there may be hardware drivers for that machine trying to be executed in the VM. Try booting in safe mode as indicated and if there are any drivers specific to the hardware on that PC (such as NIC or graphics) installed, remove them. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thanks for the reply ,  

I used the VMware standalone converter software to copy the physical machine win 7 machine which it copied it ok ? 
I tried to open the vm  my win 10 -64bit laptop with VMware workstation pro v16

i will try and get a picture 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Power off VM.
Launch VMware Converter.
Use the "Configure Machine" wizard and select the vmx-file of the bluescreening VM.
This will try to patch the registry again ( - or for the first time ??? )
It is important to know which Bluescreen ID you really got - if it is a 7B the answer would be easy.
By  the way - please attach the vmx-file to your  next reply.

Ulli

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Did you run the second step of the conversion process?  The Converter is a 2-step process - the first is to create a virtual machine and copy all the file from the physical one into it.  The second is reconfiguration - where device drivers for the virtual hardware need to be injected and enabled, while drivers for physical hardware which is no longer present need to be removed.

0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ok I will try that 

0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

Oh ok that is what’s wrong then , I converter and then tried to open 🤦🏼‍♂️

Is that what was mentioned, power off -configure-#####

I need to find a how to instruction then lol , I will give that a go thanks 

0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

Hi 

when configuring the converted VMware, I have found the Vmx file and when on the reconfigured option 

what needs to be ticked  in the boxes 

thanks stu

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Adding vmware-tools maybe useful ....

Ulli

0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

Where do you add the destination I have this error 

Stu_78_0-1651671227123.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe the virtual hardware of the VM is too new ?
Switch to an older virtual hardware ....

For a better error message - read the converter.log

0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

hi im using version 16 vm and converter software 6.2 on both machine 

i have followed the convert instructions  -power on -this machine then next  set the destination to vmware workstation -vm product to vmware workstation 11/12 - set name  and destination  then press next  then next then it goes through the cloning process

i did run the vwmare software as admin to start too .i have added the converter diagnostics report ?

im sure i have done something wrong 

thanks for your time 

0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

ive tried to back up the windows 7 physical machine again creating a new vm -using the vm converter and then transfer to the win 10 machine and i configured in the converting software and it started running then stopped again  with error 

FAILED: Unable to reconfigure the destination virtual machine?

still cant get to work ? any ideas 

is it possible to create a new vm and not ad the iso and then add the vmdx file to the new machine ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

show the directory of the new VM with explorer please

0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean the log in the VMware configure

0 Kudos
Stu_78
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure what you mean , I’m not very experienced in the vm conversation setup I’ve only created on from scratch. 
thanks stu 

0 Kudos