VMware Communities
DapperDeer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Not Recognizing Drive

Hi there,

I'm trying to get GRUB2 to allow me to boot into both Ubuntu and Windows 10. I've gotten it working for Ubuntu and now I'm trying to install Windows. When I get to the Windows installation screen where I need to pick a drive/partition, no drive shows up. Opening the command line and doing `diskpart list` returns no drives, so I'm unsure how to proceed. I originally thought it was just because my drive was SCSI but I have two Windows 10 installations that use SCSI drives, so that must not be it. I've allocated 80GB to the drive where a 20GB partition is for Ubuntu, 512MB Partition is for GRUB2, and I was going to give Windows the rest.

Is this a limitation of the VM? If not, what am I missing?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Not a limitation of the VM, but a limitation of Windows.

Windows does not know grub2 and as such does not give you easy a way to dual boot with linux.

The normal order to setup a dual boot system is to first install Windows, then add Linux after that as Linux will configure grub for you.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So you’re trying to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows in a single VM? If so, why not just build 2 separate VMs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
DapperDeer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I am trying to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows in one VM. Mostly just curiosity, see if I can get it to work and to gain some experience working with GRUB. It's the dual-boot itself that I'm interested in, not necessarily anything after the fact.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Not a limitation of the VM, but a limitation of Windows.

Windows does not know grub2 and as such does not give you easy a way to dual boot with linux.

The normal order to setup a dual boot system is to first install Windows, then add Linux after that as Linux will configure grub for you.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
DapperDeer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it! I'll do it that way, thanks so much!

0 Kudos