VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows 10 Night Light mode settings are disabled in VM - why?

After installing a new VM using the new Windows 10 update, the Night Light settings options are greyed out in the VM.

Can someone enlighten me on the reason why it's disabled?

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a problem that is often seen at physical Windows 10 setups as well.

On a Win10 VM that I run under Fusion I saw the same thing, so I searched a bit and bumped into this:

See also:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/64cmp9/windows_10_cu_night_light_settings_greyed_out/

I then navigated in the registry to the mentioned key and removed the data from it.

That indeed enabled the night light settings.

However it did not appear to make any difference as the screen color and intensity stayed the same. I have not rebooted that VM yet, so that might be another reason.

Perhaps this is a setting that should be made at host level (something that does seem to make sense to me, although I would like to set it at VM level Smiley Happy )

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This is a problem that is often seen at physical Windows 10 setups as well.

On a Win10 VM that I run under Fusion I saw the same thing, so I searched a bit and bumped into this:

See also:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/64cmp9/windows_10_cu_night_light_settings_greyed_out/

I then navigated in the registry to the mentioned key and removed the data from it.

That indeed enabled the night light settings.

However it did not appear to make any difference as the screen color and intensity stayed the same. I have not rebooted that VM yet, so that might be another reason.

Perhaps this is a setting that should be made at host level (something that does seem to make sense to me, although I would like to set it at VM level Smiley Happy )

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you for sharing this valuable information with me! I originally supposed it may have been a missing feature of the virtual graphics card driver.

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos