VMware Communities
natv
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 / Network bridge on device 'VMnet0' is not running. Failed to connect to virtual device Ethernet0.

WIndows 10 has been nothing but a pain but I did have this all working, and then it suddenly broke (I suspect either this week's Windows updates or the last set of updates)

This is a fresh install of Windows 10 by the way (not an upgrade). I had tried the upgrade path and the networking broke in VMWare Workstation then too (slightly different issue, 'access denied' when trying to add the bridge).  I then performed a clean install of Windows 10 about 2 months ago and a fresh install of Workstation and everything was great until this week.

I tried re-installing VMWware Workstation (I downloaded the latest installer, ran it and it removed the previous and installed it again), I tried a repair under the Virtual Switch settings. Attached is a screenshot of the error.

My NIC in WIndows does show the "VMWare Bridge Protocol" in the main Ethernet properties window.  If I go to Install -> Service -> Add...  there is nothing listed for VMWare under Manufacturer.

This is extremely frustrating especially after I redid my entire system just to get VMWare Workstation to work on WIndows 10 and I had it working after that and now it's broken again.

I am running Workstation 12.1.0 build-3272444 (the latest version as of this writing)

Hopefully there's a solution to this.

Thank you

Tags (2)
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Open a cmd as admin and run
net stop vmnetbridge
net start vmnetbridge
Sometimes that helps

0 Kudos
natv
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't work.

What else should I try?

0 Kudos
natv
Contributor
Contributor

This is so annoying, I actually have a (different) issue on two systems.

On my PC is the issue described above (Bridged mode not working). I want to use Bridged mode and that is what is not working (in NAT mode I can get networking from the host machine as well as Internet access)

On my Laptop, bridged mode works,  but NAT mode doesn't work correctly (NAT has Internet access, but I can't access the IP from the host machine)

Is this a Windows 10 issue? I don't understand I never had so many issues with Workstation before I started using Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Shivaess
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here, started since early December. NAT connection through host works fine but bridging does not. Also windows 10

0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

can you upload the vmware.log? and what about the windows 10? pro or Ent x64 and any build/release number?

From the network editor GUI, can you try 'restore default'?

Shivaess
Contributor
Contributor

Network reset resolved the issue. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
AaronLewisPDX
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, the restore fixed my issue.

0 Kudos