VMware Communities
Ferko
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 KB5019959 crashes into BSOD

Hi,

I have tried to install November update for my virtual Windows 10 22H2 KB5019959 in Vmware Workstation 16 Pro latest. Unfortunately after restart of the virtual machine it always crashes into BSoD with CODE UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR.After few BSoDs, Windows recovered into previous version but also my second try ended the same.

I have Intel 12. gen. Any hint how to overcome this issue? Thanks.

103 Replies
ojm
Contributor
Contributor

VMware has breached the terms of the licenses we purchased, and their response is "give us more money".  

adamrd
Contributor
Contributor

ignore me
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Zouhdi_El_About
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue here. My Host OS is Win11, but vmware workstation thinks its Win10.

I have several Win10 guest systems, with all Windows-Updates on hold.

Having only 1 processor works for tzhe update, but not for my work, so thats not an option.

I've purchased vmware workstation 16 like 6 weeks ago, and i'm quiet unhappy with this situation.

Submitting a support request is also not possible for me, because my entiled account shows no products. An vmware employe advised me to register my license, but here comes the next issue: thats not possible, according to vm-website because of an "error" (no further explanation). 

I feel like this issue wont be fixed, so an upgrade to version 17 is the only way.

Cant call it a satisfying experience.

MMirabito
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm that when I upgraded to VMware 17 Pro my exiting Win 10 VMs are patching  properly (VM configuration 4 CPU 12GB RAM) see screenshot below.

As indicated in other replies the 17 upgrade fixes the patching and blue screens. But what's not clear to me is why VMWare does not want to patch 16 so that people are not forced to upgrade. 

Thanks,

max

2022-11-29_16-37-02.gif

ojm
Contributor
Contributor

It's clear to me that VMware doesn't want to Patch 16 because they see this as an opportunity to squeeze free money out of their customers without honoring their licensing terms. Since several of my VMs were destroyed by the BSOD bug, I have to rebuild them anyway, so this is a good time to abandon VMware. I'm in the middle of rebuilding the lab environment in Hyper-V. Microsoft supports Windows 10/11, while VMware might nuke your environment at any time, without warning.

jrg2
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is definitely triggered by a change coming from Microsoft in KB5019959.

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 as the host VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5.7 and all my 64-bit Windows 10 VM's have applied KB5019959 just fine - no problem.

Its only my 32-bit Windows 10 VM's that are BSOD with SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.

Unfortunately I can't upgrade to v16 or v17 of VMWare due to this issue here which VMWare has ignore for almost a year.

My system dual boots and even when I run Windows 10 x64 as the Host the 32-bit Guests still BSOD on KB5019959.

I really don't think VMWare reads any of these boards anymore 😞

0 Kudos
ezhik_
Contributor
Contributor

So I have been going back and forth with VMware on this. Seems like issuing a free upgrade is not going to be an option, but here is what they advise, which sounds absurd:

Thank you for your email.

The action plan is to download and install the 30-days trial version of WS Pro 17 which should not need any license for activation and also fix your issue.

Once installed, you can upgrade the hardware compatibility of your VM to Workstation Pro 17 by doing a right click on the VM-->Change hardware compatibility on WS Pro app.

Once we have an update on version 16, you should be able to unsinatll WS Pro 17 app, install version 16 again which should activate using your WS Pro 16 license. You will be prompted to downgrade the hardware compatibility of the VM back to version 16 but in case it doesn't, please right click on the VM-->Change hardware compatibility on WS Pro app to WS Pro 16.

Let me know if you have any concerns with this, I will make sure to reach out to you as soon as I have a substantial update for version 16 on this.

Have a great day!

Regards,
0 Kudos
JanBreet
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this?  We as end users can't log support tickets - so we have no way to get this resolved except by buying the update 17?  Does anyone have a number we can dial?

0 Kudos
ezhik_
Contributor
Contributor

Latest from VMware:

“””

The recommendation for the trial version usage at the moment has been suggested in an internal discussion. I would also like to inform you that our engineering team is actively working on the possibility of a workaround/resolution on version 16.

”””

0 Kudos
RU5
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all. I would just like to add that although this issue is supposed to be fixed in 17.0, it is not for me (Windows 11 host, 2xWindows 10 guests, one 64-bit and the other 32-bit). Just putting this out there as others may also be (un)affected after purchasing an upgrade to VMWare.

0 Kudos
ohtakajp
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me. 

0 Kudos
bmarin777
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

"upcoming Workstation major release" means that it will be available in version 17 of the Workstation, or would it be available as a "normal" update?

I had the same problem with Win11 as well in reply to another contributor saying that with Win11 the update works ...

Thank you

PS Actually I just saw the updates on the thread, and my question is answered. Thank you

0 Kudos
MarkPfeifer
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 16.2.5 was released today with a fix for this issue.

kcarter720
Contributor
Contributor

Downloading and installing now!  Thanks for the heads up!

0 Kudos
ig-andrew-edney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have downloaded and installed it and it works!

No need to upgrade to version 17, so that's a good saving.

Took a while, but they sorted it and that is what counts.

Ferko
Contributor
Contributor

General support for version 16 ends next Thursday so not upgrading to version 17 is just a temporary workaround imho. Unless someone plans to disable Windows updates from now on, this might reoccur also in future.

Product Lifecycle 

0 Kudos
foobar4711
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

16.2.5 solved it for me

zPFmc2LQqU5tsy8
Contributor
Contributor

Installing KB5021237 causes the same problem. Reducing to 1 processor core or installing 16.2.5 also solves the issue.

0 Kudos
Fezzik
Contributor
Contributor

Latest update fixed the issue for me as well.

Needed to install Windows Hypervisor Platform as part of install for 16.2.5.

0 Kudos
ojm
Contributor
Contributor

I have never liked Hyper-V, but I can't trust VMware any more. Even after paying for v17 upgrade, the odds of this happening again reset every 30 days, and could re-nuke my environment up to 12 times next year. Entitlement to updates is great, but there's still potential costly downtime between those updates.

0 Kudos