VMware Communities
Ferko
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 KB5019959 crashes into BSOD

Hi,

I have tried to install November update for my virtual Windows 10 22H2 KB5019959 in Vmware Workstation 16 Pro latest. Unfortunately after restart of the virtual machine it always crashes into BSoD with CODE UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR.After few BSoDs, Windows recovered into previous version but also my second try ended the same.

I have Intel 12. gen. Any hint how to overcome this issue? Thanks.

103 Replies
wydnaa
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem for me.  I have several Win 10 VMs, all trying to install updates KB5020694 - .NET Framework updates and KB5019959 - Win10 22H2 update.

Workstation Pro version 16.2.4 build-20089737.

I can't be sure which of the updates is causing the BSOD.

The much repeated workaround disabling Hyper-V didn't work for me.  Working with a single core VM won't work for me!

Thankfully, Win 10 guest recovers after the BSOD, but this really needs a proper fix.

ezhik_
Contributor
Contributor

To summarize:

A recently released set of Microsoft patches can cause an issue for Windows 10 and Server 2019 VMs. The stop code is:

"UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR"

In particular, these two KBs:

KB5019966 - Windows Server 2019
KB5019959 - Windows 10

Recovery procedure:

1. Turn Off VM
2. Change Settings of the VM:
   a. Processors:
   - Sockets: 1
   - Cores: 1
3. Turn On VM
4. Login as an admin
5. Navigate to Control Panel > Programs and Features
6. Select "View installed updates" on the left side
7. Find Update with KB5019966 or KB5019959 and Uninstall it
8. Once successfully uninstalled, restart and shutdown the VM.
9. Revert to the original settings of the VM:
a. Processors (example):
Sockets: 1
Cores: 2
10. Power on the VM

The VM should now boot in desired hardware configuration, however the windows update package would still be available for download as it has been reverted. It appears the issue is with Microsoft and VMware and until the patches come out for both products, you might either be stuck with missing security updates or performance impact due to a single socket/core configuration.

The usual maintenance should be done once the systems are booted up again:
1. Schedule disk check:

chkdsk /f

1. Fix and cleanup the OS image:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

dgenemiller
Contributor
Contributor

Core Isolation - Memory integrity is what what causing the issue with my instance.

After turning off core isolation reboot Win11 Host the KB50199559 installed with 2 proc 2 cores.

I have since updated the Win10 VM to WIn11 and tried to reenable core isolation and get incompatible drivers pop up.

The safenet Inc drivers look to have issue with the new update.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@lutz wrote:

is anybody of VMWARE or MS aware of this problem ?

i have no hyper-v win10 22h2 on workstation and in VM latest vm workstation still nobody working on it ?

How to make VMWare and MS taking notice of this problem ?

Just because you have "no Hyper-V" on your PC doesn't mean that the components aren't there and VMware isn't using them. Virtualization Based Security, Device Guard and Memory Integrity all use pieces of Hyper-V. You need to not only disable Hyper-V in the host, but perform the bcdedit command to modify the hypervisorlaunchtype attribute (set to off, it's set to auto by default), and make sure Memory Integrity is disabled. You may also need to disable Virtualization Based Security and Device Guard.  All of them need to be done for Workstation to revert to using its own hypervisor instead of Hyper-V.

VMware is aware of the issue. A social media post indicated they have an internal build that has a fix. They have hinted that the real-soon-now Workstation 17 contains the fix. I would hope that VMware would also realize the amount of pain this is for their customers and release a final update to Workstation 16 that also fixes this issue. I'm not hopeful they will do that though.

Prior replies to this thread also indicate that the Workstation Tech Preview 22H2 fixes this issue as well, so you might want to give that a try while waiting for the Workstation 17 release. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ojm
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 16 to 17 upgrade had better be FREE, unless they patch 16 to fix the bug. If they try to charge money to fix this problem, they shouldn't be surprised if v17 is the most pirated version to date.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ojm wrote:

Workstation 16 to 17 upgrade had better be FREE, unless they patch 16 to fix the bug. If they try to charge money to fix this problem, they shouldn't be surprised if v17 is the most pirated version to date.

To be fair this worked until Microsoft provided their latest update.. An equal amount of vitriol should be directed at Microsoft for making changes that break the competition’s products.

That being said, I agree that VMware needs to provide a fix for WS 16. WS 16 is under support until 12/22/22, and a paid upgrade to fix a bug is not customer friendly behavior. 

@Mikero  can you comment on this? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
Tags (1)
Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Memory Integrity is off on my Win 10 64 Pro and still fails.

sasten
Contributor
Contributor

As a data point my vmware windows 10/11 virtual machines fail the MS Nov22 updates as described in this forum while my hyper-v windows 10/11 virtual machines update without issues.

ryank3
Contributor
Contributor

I am also experiencing this issue on both Windows 10 and Windows 11 VMs

kcarter720
Contributor
Contributor

Also experiencing this issue with my Windows 10 VM.  The KB5019959 update also seemed to mess around with a lot of clock/time issues as well.

KleberBueno
Contributor
Contributor

It is an endless problem. After uninstalled Workstation Pro 16 and installed Tech Preview version I got it working again.

Today morning my host was updated with update KB5020030. Now none of the VMWare versions are working anymore. Microsoft windows update is a black box.

0 Kudos
gkobler
Contributor
Contributor

V17 are release today, and it works with enabled Hyper-V

0 Kudos
ig-andrew-edney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And you have to pay to upgrade (in the UK it is showing as £84.16) - so the question is, do I care enough to bother?

Michael_Uray
Contributor
Contributor

How can you actually report such a bug to VMware?

The support page did not allow me to send a support request, since it was not possible to chose my WMware 16 Workstation licence as product.

Johan_Melander
Contributor
Contributor

Error in reply

0 Kudos
gkobler
Contributor
Contributor

May you have to buy seperate premium support

0 Kudos
ONI_Assassin
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm WSP17 does resolve the issue with the update; just waiting to check stability, but everything so far looks good.

0 Kudos
cdickey1
Contributor
Contributor

I also get the BSOD which just started when trying to apply the latest automatic Windows 10 Update by Microsoft to guests
The BSOD happened with VM Workstation 15
I upgraded to Workstation 16 and most recent compatibility to see if that fixed it
Same BSOD with Workstation 16

A Dell computer with Intel i9-9900K CPU

Before this Microsoft Windows 10 update BSOD I have been running VMWare on this computer for a couple years with no problems

The Windows 10 Update completed on the host OS with no problems
The BSOD happens when trying to update a guest OS Windows 10

A lot of people using VMWare Workstation 16 have the same BSOD problem
Has there been any news from VMWare support about this and a solution?

0 Kudos
zboise
Contributor
Contributor

Problem solved.

First, my Xeon desktop is not having the issue, only the 12850HX (new laptop).

Did not have problem under Windows 10 before 22H2. On Saturday, upgraded to W11 and applied updates to VM (W10). That's when it started to happen.

I've been focused the entire time on the VM, however, after recopying the VM from original source, rolling back updates, etc, I could not get around the problem. So now I am wondering if the upgrade to W11 on host also has something to do with it.

I reverted back to Windows 10. But then VMWare would not work. Not even Player. Finally got a new install of Player installed and it greeted me that Version 17 was available. Getting rid of Pro16 was difficult due to Windows downgrade, however, I then was able to install Version 17 Pro and VM with 8 cores assigned screams!

I'm sure many will not be happy to upgrade to 17, I'm just glad to get back to work again.

cdickey1
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted tech support and got a phone call. They are aware of the BSOD problem. I was told I would get a license for Workstation 17 by December 1 since I bought v16 recently. Apparently the problem will be fixed with v17.
There may also be a preview version of v16 that has fixed the problem.

0 Kudos