VMware Communities
Ferko
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 KB5019959 crashes into BSOD

Hi,

I have tried to install November update for my virtual Windows 10 22H2 KB5019959 in Vmware Workstation 16 Pro latest. Unfortunately after restart of the virtual machine it always crashes into BSoD with CODE UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR.After few BSoDs, Windows recovered into previous version but also my second try ended the same.

I have Intel 12. gen. Any hint how to overcome this issue? Thanks.

103 Replies
BrennM
Contributor
Contributor

@gkobler:That works for me too. 🙂

0 Kudos
smatoa
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue after applying KB5019959.

I was able to avoid it by using 1CPU

coexisting with hyper-v
I was able to avoid it by turning hyper-v to "OFF" with the following command
"bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off"

sorry for the english of the translator

smatoa
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue after applying KB5019959.

I was able to avoid it by using 1CPU

coexisting with hyper-v
I was able to avoid it by turning hyper-v to "OFF" with the following command
"bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off"

sorry for the english of the translator

0 Kudos
ThoJa
Contributor
Contributor

Workaround is OK for me. 🙂

0 Kudos
ONI_Assassin
Contributor
Contributor

I wonder if turning off core isolation on the host would help.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
Virtualmee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same problem as all of you, different processor though so clearly major defect on VMWare side.

Pukkio
Contributor
Contributor

Any other workaround or solutions? I can't disable Hyper-V becouse I need it for android subsystem, and setting only 1 cpu the VM is incredibly slow 😞

ONI_Assassin
Contributor
Contributor

Update:

Didn't work

0 Kudos
ONI_Assassin
Contributor
Contributor

It seems to disable features etc, isn't the correct solution, but rather VMWare needs to spend time working on their product to work with more modern security practices and features.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
DLF_UK
Contributor
Contributor

Having this issue, Windows 10 host, Windows 10 guest. 

Hyper-V is turned off, I don't use it, so for me at least that can't be the cause/fix for this issue.

KleberBueno
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks

Same issue here since Saturday.

Disabling Hyper-V did not fix it. Also, it is impossible to uninstall the update because KB5019959 is a permanent update. Tried to restore VM guest Windows 10 to some point before the update. Did not work as well.

Hopefully there should be any update from either VMWare to Microsoft on it.

tfletch87
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing this same issue on Server 2019 after updating to the latest Windows updates. I rolled them back but still had the same issue. I came in today to pick back up where I left off, and somehow it magically is working. (Without updates applied.) Not sure what could have/would have changed. I still have another machine in a broken state though. Would seem November updates changed something with virtualization. I updated to the latest version of VMware Workstation Pro 16 as well to no avail.

0 Kudos
ojm
Contributor
Contributor

This issue has cost several days of development downtime, and the entire weekend to recover. Microsoft and VMware are mature enough that this type of issue should not happen. Windows 10 22H2 host, no Hyper-V, latest Workstation Pro 16.x, no previous issues like this for several years running. 

simon_hslu
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issues.

After i uninstalled VMware Workstation Pro and installed the Tech Preview 22H2 it worked for me without any issues. Multiple CPU's and multiple Cores. This is not adviced for Producive systems but for me a Workaround until they implement the fix.

YetAnotherChris
Contributor
Contributor

In my case...

Clean install of Windows 11, 22H2, with Workstation pro 16.2.4 as the host.  Everything was working perfectly UNTIL I enabled Memory Integrity when prompted by the windows security center app thing on the host.

After enabling that and rebooting I started having this same issue. Nothing I tried resolved the issues until I went back and turned it back off.

My bad for wanting to be "protected" lol

Maybe try turning that off if you have it enabled and are running a system like mine?

JMorgenthaler
Contributor
Contributor

Chris, like you, my host machine was Windows 11 22H2 and running latest workstation pro.  And like everyone else, I was getting the error on my Windows 10 VM system trying to install KB5019959 (processor error message, etc.) 

I just tried your suggestion of turning off the "memory integrity" security setting on my Win11 host and then tried installing the update on my Win10 VM.  And what do you know...the dang thing worked this time.  Unbelievable.  Your "fix" definitely worked for me.

For those of you getting this error, give it a try.  To turn on/off the memory integrity setting see https://windowsreport.com/memory-integrity-is-off-windows-11/

When I had it turned on, Workstation prompted me to disable "Side Channel Mitigations" (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/79832) which I had done.  I re-enabled this option after turning off the host memory integrity option. Don't know if it would have made any difference for the Win10 update install or not but since these were the only 2 system changes I had made recently I figured I would undo both of them to see if it fixed the problem.  I will be reenabling these options now that the update has been successfully applied but I'll keep in mind if any future updates cause the same problem.

0 Kudos
lutz
Contributor
Contributor

is anybody of VMWARE or MS aware of this problem ?

i have no hyper-v win10 22h2 on workstation and in VM latest vm workstation still nobody working on it ?

How to make VMWare and MS taking notice of this problem ?

KleberBueno
Contributor
Contributor

The only solution that worked for me so far Thanks @simon_hslu .

0 Kudos