VMware Communities
Ferko
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 KB5019959 crashes into BSOD

Hi,

I have tried to install November update for my virtual Windows 10 22H2 KB5019959 in Vmware Workstation 16 Pro latest. Unfortunately after restart of the virtual machine it always crashes into BSoD with CODE UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR.After few BSoDs, Windows recovered into previous version but also my second try ended the same.

I have Intel 12. gen. Any hint how to overcome this issue? Thanks.

103 Replies
DrRFreund
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me. Installed cumulative update KB5019959 in Windows 10 VM (used for several years, always installed newest Windows-updates without problems), rebooted, got BSoD with Stop-Code "UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR". Rebooted again and Windows 10 was automatically repaired. Windows-update-dialogue says, that KB5019959 could not be installed (error-code 0x800f0845) and was removed. Clicking on "Retry" provides the same result again. I've tried some workarounds, which I found in the Internet (Windows-update troubleshooter, scans with SFC and DISM, cleared Windows update files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download), but nothing did help.

gbdutch
Contributor
Contributor

Yep same here and same with the November updates for Windows 11 in a VM - something they changed is causing the issue in both OS's. Setting the VM to a single CPU core will get around it temporarily but either VMware or Microsoft needs to patch it. 

HHPCIT
Contributor
Contributor

We are also seeing the same things with Windows 10 21H2 VM's.  I've tried manually installing the update with the same result.  An example host is running Windows 11 Pro 21H2 with an Intel Core i7-11700 and 64GB RAM running VMWare Workstation 16.2.4 build-20089737.  

SangHLee
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing exactly the same error here on two separate guest windows 10 pro VMs. I am on intel 10th gen (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10710U), 32GB RAM with Windows 11 pro host. VMWare Work Station Pro 16.2.4

HHPCIT
Contributor
Contributor

I can also confirm that setting the VM to a single CPU works.  It's not ideal, but it works.  I did take a snapshot after successfully updating and set the CPU's to 1 socket, 4 cores and started the VM.  It resulted in the same UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR error.  Reverting the snapshot (which set it back to 1 socket, 1 core) allowed the VM to start again successfully.    

Alphaleonis
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here with 12th gen Intel 12900K CPU and latest VMWare Workstation 16 Pro and a Windows 11 guest after latest Windows updates (on the guest) I got BSOD with UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR. After a couple of failed boots it seemed to automatically revert the update which allowed me to boot the guest.

ThoJa
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me on a Surface Pro with Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @.

0 Kudos
BrennM
Contributor
Contributor

the same here. Lenovo Thinkpad L15 Intel i5-1145G7

0 Kudos
LBrin
Contributor
Contributor

Seems I'm having the same issue. Dell XPS 17 Intel i9-12900HK

0 Kudos
jordanreedy
Contributor
Contributor

Experiencing this issue as well. Details below:

Yesterday, we installed KB5019959 on two guest VMs, each Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC Version 21H2 Build 19044.2251. It works on my host OS, but not my coworker's. Stop Code: UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR

My host OS information: Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.674

Coworker's host OS information: Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.2130

Removing the update on the guest OS works, but as stated earlier I don't have the problem on my Windows 11 host machine, only on Windows 10 host machine. I'm going to continue troubleshooting with some version upgrades and such. I'm willing to provide logs and further troubleshooting to try to get this resolved.

The below info is troubleshooting I tried but didn't fix this issue:

In my initial troubleshooting, I attempted a potential fix mentioned in another forum post: (1) Latest Dev Channel builds of Win 11 fail to instal... - VMware Technology Network VMTN. 

This did not fix, but did give a new Windows Stop Code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

This allowed us to use 1 processor, 2 cores instead of just 1 processor, 1 core. But it did not fix the issue.

Please note, if you try the fix mentioned in the article, you'll need to reset 

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

in order to get your machine to use more than 2 cores once you remove KB5019959.

0 Kudos
gkobler
Contributor
Contributor

Same to my notebook with intel i9, with 1 CPU it works. No problem on my desktop PC with AMD. At the moment no solution or workaround ahead. 😞

0 Kudos
jordanreedy
Contributor
Contributor

My coworker and I are having the same problem. His Win10 Guest machine throws the stop code: UNSUPPORTED PROCESSER after the November CU. The same guest machine will open in my Workstation no problem. Specs are below, I hope it will help troubleshooting.

My host machine: Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.674

Coworkers host machine: Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.2130

The guest OS specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.2251

Rolling back the update fixes immediately.

ig-andrew-edney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried one of the approaches suggested on the internet - giving the guest machine just 1 CPU (single core). That allowed it to do an update when it would not work before.

0 Kudos
ig-andrew-edney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying to add back the extra CPU cores after the updates just brings back the BSOD - so you have to be happy with a single core VM if you install updates. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Is Hyper-V being used as the virtualization monitor. Check the vmware.log file and see if the Monitor Type is ULM, and not CPL0.

There are posts in social media that's describing a problem with Windows hosts with Hyper-V enabled and running Windows 10 or 11 VMs with the latest Microsoft updates. The posts also say VMware is aware of this, has fixed it internally, and will be shipping a fix in the upcoming Workstation major release (shipping next week). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
ig-andrew-edney
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Monitor mode is ULM (I am running both Hyper-V and VMware on my laptop). Good to hear that a fix should be on its way.

0 Kudos
chweyd
Contributor
Contributor

Same here - BSOD after the latest Windows 10 upgrade but also after upgrading to Windows 11. With a single CPU no problem except that it is very slow. The recommended deactivation of hypervisor did not help - with more than one. CPU we immediately see a BSOD. Now I deactivated automatic updates and wait for a patch from VMWARE. 

Question: is that issue only affecting VMware workstation or is the player affected too?

0 Kudos
gkobler
Contributor
Contributor

Found a workaround

Disable the Hyper-V, this helped on my PC

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

After issuing this command, then reboot the system

To re-enable Hyper-V, you can issue this command:

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

and then again reboot for the change to take place.

We had the same problem before, see the following link

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/Workstation-16-1-2-Pro-under-Windows-11-hos...

lutz
Contributor
Contributor

Same with me Processor I7-9700, windows Host win10 22H2 and guest win10 22H2, no Hyper-V nothing, always crashes with BSOD when installing Nov22 update.

Waiting for a real solution, 1 Core is not sufficient