VMware Communities
hellerim
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 GuestHangs on Workstation 16.2

I have several Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise guests running on Workstation 16.2 which I'm using for teaching on software engineering (one at a time, of course). I'm using MS Visual Studio 2019 on one machine and the latest Eclipse IDE on second one. On both machines I experience the following behavior: Suddenly the guest stops responding, and the only way to continue my work ist to kill the corresponding VMX process, delete the .lck files, and then restart the machine again. With Visual Studio, this occurs more often than with Eclipse. My impression is that the critical action is somewhere in the file system activities. However, I was not able to figure out which user action(s) might provoke this misbehavior. When I tried tried a virtual machine provided by Microsoft, the behavior was the same. The VMs have 16 GB of RAM, 8 Processors (4 x 2),  and 60GB of NVMe Harddisk. The hardware below has 64 GB of RAM, an Intel Core i7-10750h CPU, and 2TB NVMe SDD. The OS had several updates; currently its version is 21H1 with latest updates on all machines.

Is there any idea how I could remedy the situation? My students are not very happy when I need to interrupt my course, event if it's only for two minutes.

0 Kudos
0 Replies