VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Windows 10: Custom scaling factor error caused by VMware tool - How can I cope with this?

After installing Windows 10/64, v1607 and after installing VMware tools in the VM I get this Windows error message, telling me that a custom scaling factor has been set:

User Scaling 1.png

When I click on the blue message ("disable custom scaling and log off") I get logged off. After logging in, the error message disappears, but now I get a VMware Tools error message box, telling me that "VMware Tools provides an altered sizing setting for the GUI. To apply these changes you need to log off. Close all applications and click [OK] to log off immediately. Or click [Cancel] to log off later":

User Scaling 2.png

After clicking [OK] I'm getting logged off. And after logging in again, I'm - again - presented with above Windows error message:

User Scaling 1.png

What's this fuzz all about?

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
3 Replies
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Interesting. In the UK English version of Windows 10 1607 the text reports that "A custom scale factor is set." Just a statement of fact. Maybe message mistranslated by Microsoft.

I believe It is possible to disable automatic custom scaling by removing the check mark against "Automatically adjust user interface size in the virtual machine" in the 'Display' section of the 'Virtual Machine Settings' dialog. The first time you log on after changing this setting you will be asked to log off again for the setting change to take effect. When you log on again you will be able to set the display scaling you desire.

Updated 2016-08-07 19:21.

WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Excellent! That was the solution to my issue.

Thanks!

Axel

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos
fupa16
Contributor
Contributor

You sir are a genius! I made an account just to tank you for this, I was scratching my head for so long trying to figure out how I can get custom scaling on a single monitor - it was VMWare all along setting it!

0 Kudos