VMware Communities
muniategui
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Black Screen in first boot

Today I was installing windows 10 in a virtual machine. All the installation procedure was like expected however once the installation finished and the first boot was done the typical screen saing please wait appeared. During this screen the machine started to making black flashes which consisted of 1-5 seconds of black screen... After some time the message of please wait never appeared again and the machine is totally black.

I've tried multiple times the installation even with diferent isos but the problem persists. It does not happen on linux machines.

Host is windows 10 x64 Workstation 20h2 with Hyper-V eneabled. Using VMWare Workstation Pro 16.1.1

Guest is Windows 10 x64 Pro 20h2. I've tried with mitigations enabled or disabled but the result was the same. The other iso tried was the same windows version but in a different language which lead to the same result.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
muniategui
Contributor
Contributor

The issue seems to be between Hyper-V and VMWare. With bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off and a reboot i was able to install the machines without issues. however after the installation I switched on hyper-v again and when i booted the machine the same issue appeared, black screen.

I hope it gets fixed since I've also use hyper-v machines.

After booting the result is this:

muniategui_0-1618824984961.png

0 Kudos