VMware Communities
wdewey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Window 7 RC guest crashes during install on XP 64 bit host

I have a Dell Core 2 duo machine with 4 GB RAM running Windows XP 64 bit. I am using VMWare 5.5.9 and when I install Windows 7 RC it crashes when it first tries to boot to the hard drive after copying the install files. The same thing works fine on an older P4 gateway with 2 GB of RAM running XP Pro 32 bit. I have tried the XP Pro and Vista experimential templates. When booting into safe mode everything works fine until I get to the drives.sys file then the guest crashes and reboots. Any ideas on what I could try to fix this? I would like to move to my new machine, but I would also like to evaluate Windows 7.

Bill

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ColinBurnell
Contributor
Contributor

That's interesting; I posted a similar problem with Windows 7 RC on Vista 64 host, a week ago; & again a Core2 duo machine.

Do you get a BSOD similar to the attached?

0 Kudos
wdewey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. It is exactly the same except the codes on the bottom.

Bill

0 Kudos
wdewey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I enabled logging on the VM and this is appears to be the error that is causing the crash.

May 15 08:17:54: vcpu-0| X86Fault_Warning: vmcore/vmm32/bt/btpriv.c:1353: cs:eip=0x8:0x8275e494 fault=13

Bill

0 Kudos
wdewey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I installed VMWare server 2.0.1 and did not have the same problem. I would like to use workstation, but if it is not possible then I will move this to the VMWare server.

Bill

0 Kudos
ColinBurnell
Contributor
Contributor

I guess there must be a problem running with a 64 bit host &/or core2 duo's.

Hopefully VMWare support will see this thread and have a look.

Unfortunately I don't have server, so I guess I'm going to have use a 32bit machine.

Cheers.

Colin.

0 Kudos
wdewey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare server is a free download. There is no need to purchase it.

Bill

0 Kudos
PShahood
Contributor
Contributor

I have 7RC running on a Vista 64 host. When I first started it up, it also crashed. I gave the VM 1.5G memory, and it has been running great since. I never tried turning it down once I got it running, but it certainly didn't have enough memory initially! May be why your is crashing??

0 Kudos
wdewey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Doesn't crash when I first start it up, rather when I reboot after the initial copying files for the install. I used the exact same settings (Memory, processor, template) on a 32 bit XP machine and it worked fine. As I stated earlier, when booting in safe mode the process hanges at the drives.sys file.

Bill

0 Kudos
ColinBurnell
Contributor
Contributor

Mine crashes during "expanding files", I did try increasing the memmory to 2GB when it first happned, but it still crashes.

0 Kudos
wdewey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's interesting. I only gave the MV 1 GB of memory and it is running fine after switching to VMWare server 2.0.1. I built the VM on an XP 32 bit machine using Workstation 5.5.9 and then moved it to the XP 64 bit machine. I removed my test install on the VMWare server because I had done more customization on the Workstation install. I am currently using it as my primary interface so I can see if there would be any problems switching. So far I haven't had any major problems and it has been less work than switching to XP x64 from XP x32.

Bill

0 Kudos
FionaD
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this? I, too, am running a Dell core 2 duo machine with 4 GB of RAM. I'm running 64-bit Windows Server 2003 and VMware Workstation 6.5.2. My Windows 7 install goes fine, but shortly after booting up it gets a BSOD with either the same error as noted here or "an interrupt storm has caused the system to hang".

0 Kudos
allenc28
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem although not with an XP host.

OpenSUSE 11.1 x86_64 E8400 (Core 2 Duo) VMware Server 1.0.9 host, Windows 7RC guest; Guest install completes successfullly. Subsequent boots crash with BSOD. Failure appears to be in drivers.sys. I've tried many combinations of VM configuration; IDE vs SCSI, difference memory sizes, etc. No luck.

0 Kudos