VMware Communities
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WinXP migration: VMWare usage under WinVista 64bit

WinVista Ultimate; 64 bit processor

WinXP Pro SP3 prior system

I'd like some direction/advise on migrating my former WinXP Pro laptop to a VMWare image under my new laptop with WinVista Ultimate on a 64bit Intel chip (Dell Inspiron). The WinXP Pro system was a Dell 80GB 2GB laptop and the new Dell Inspiron has a 500GB SATA HD on a 64-bit dual processor. There are some applications that don't run under the 64bit mode (Quickbooks 2003 etc.) that I need on the new laptop.

I'd like to make an image of my old laptop's HD and place it as a VM on my new laptop. If I remember correctly we only have VM Workstation as a VMWare appl.

What do I need in terms of software, if anything? What do I need to do? Lots of guidance would be helpful as we will probably be migrating to System 7 1Q2010 and to Windows Server 2008 from Win2K3/Exchange 2003.

TIA!!!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Brahell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

if I undestood your doubt, you can install VMware server 2.0 (it's free) in your new laptop and use Vmware Converter to create a "image" of the old.

See this articles:

total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's my understanding that you can have only VM Wktn OR WM Server on the same host. I already have WM wkstn on the WinVista Ultimate laptop so I'm not too sure what I need to do next on the migration of the WinXP system based upon your response. Would VM Converter do what I want?

Based upon this link it would appear that it would: Am I correct? Hence, I'd need VMWare Converter and then I should be ok..presuming I can do the conversion!? Smiley Wink

THANKS

0 Kudos
Brahell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You are right!! VMware Converter is the key point.

Basically, you need download and install a VMware Converter (Standalone) in a Windows Vista and after that, you can make a convertion of Windows XP. Start VMware Converter, select "SOURCE" (Powered-on machine), put the IP, USERNAME and PASSWORD. To the "TARGET", select the destination type "Vmware workstation or other virtual machine", choose Vmware Product (for you Server or Workstation), put the virtual machine name and location.

It´s easy!! Show the screenshots attached.

Good luck!!

0 Kudos
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks... I just did the conversion about a couple days ago and things went fine. Got the new MS license too! Now, if you don't mind, here's an issue on the NEW virtual image: SMALLER (!!) desktop. When I created a new VMWare image from scratch a couple of months ago (WinXP Pro) I got the normal desktop sizing. Now, under the conversion I'm getting a much, much smaller desktop. For example, I see a 5x4" square on my 14" LED screen... AFTER the WinXP MS splash screen. The VMWare window is normal sized but the actual viewable area for the WinXP virtual image display is WAY TOO small. I just reset the screen size from 640x480 to 1280x1024 from within the VMWare image and that solved the issue.

Again, THANKS!! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos