VMware Communities
Mikesan152
Contributor
Contributor

Win7 Support

Greetings!  I am currently running Ubuntu 22.04 and Win7 64 in a dual boot system.  I need to upgrade my mobo/cpu etc. but the newer ones don't support Win7.  Is there a way to use VMware to build a virtual machine on my new system(Ubuntu) and to completely import my current Win7 OS to include all the programs and files? (Virtualize the entire drive...)

Thank you.  My apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section or asking an idiotic question.

Best regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

yes, there is full support for all OSes even old in VMware.

You can use VMware Workstation application as a Player or PRO https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player.html

And for migrating the existing OS VMware has an app that you install on the Win 7 system and that will do it a VM from it. Its VMware Converter http://www.vmware.com/download/converter/ 

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
Mikesan152
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent!!!  Thanks so much.  I guess I came to the right place! 

Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Its a pleasure to help 🙂

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
Mikesan152
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again.

To run my Win7 64 OS, must I also run Hyper V?  And if so, does that run under Player? (I 'm trying to grease the skids ahead of implementation.)

Thank you!!!

Mike

0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

no, you can run all Windows OS's run directly under VMware as all other OS's too.

You don't need to run HyperV, but if you will to learn it it should be possible to run HyperV in virtualisation but I think there will be needed ESXi (vSphere) to run it, but with this I don't have extra experience while I prefer VMware for HyperV or KVM.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Mikesan152
Contributor
Contributor

Hello.

My new Ubuntu build is complete.  I have used the converter utility to convert my existing Win 7-64 to a virtual machine.  I have copied the Win 7 VMDK into the location but it won't power on.  I get "Failed to load /usr/lib/vmware/settings. No such file or directory"  I have updated the kernel to 6.0 and installed gcc 12.02.

Thank you and very best regards.

Mike

PS. I was wondering why I wasn't receiving notifications in my email.  Turns out they had all gone into junk mail folder.  I apologize if I was slow in responding.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos