VMware Communities
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

Win7 Guest in VMware7.0.1 damages XP host.

Anyone help

I have installed a windows7Ultimate x64 and enabled its Areo view in VMware workstation 7.0.1.227600.

And opened the Window7MediaCenter for playing the demo video taken with it(which shows some birds and animals).

At the same time i moved the mouse cursor fasterly and frequently on the Guest's Desktop/MediaCenter window/Host's desktop again and again. After minutes a few black-bar appeared on the host's screen and kept increased, the screen would become colour-pixels filled randomly. Finally the host system became BSOD that shown code 0x000000fe or code 0x000000ea. If i quited the guest and exited the VMware when the host colour-pixels filled. The system would keep its illness.

I have fully tested my Memory, Video card and Motherboard and cpu to make sure they are no problems, Many software for hardware benchmarks and many 3d games also passed except the VMware 7.

The problem would take un-estimated time(10 minutes to half an hour) to reveal after the MediaCenter starting video-playing. Sometime i could play without any error till the MC being closed. The other time the mouse cursor would become harder and harder to move until being frozen. Kept less mouse moving can let the problem slighter but also unavoidable; It may be prevented from if i NEVER moved the cursor into the client's area in VMware.

I have tried updated the system drivers for chipsets, video card but the problem went on. The problem would become worse if i lower the CPU's frequency.

If i installed a windows7ultimate x86 and enabled its Areo effect in VMware, the balloon-tips would draw texts on the left-top of the desktop rather than its client area.

I guess the problem is due to the bug of the system driver that taken and used by VMware. Otherwise the system can't be BSOD by a user-mode(Ring 3) software.

I'm not sure that the problem be due to the VMware. So I hope somebody or, the engineers in VMware could given those test on their own. I guess that the CPU was not needed to be so fast but must support VT, to do the test. Dual-channel memory in at-least 4G Bytes and a fast 3D video card are also needed. Be sure that the test needed at least a few ten minutes with fast mouse moving. The Host is WinXP and the Guest is windows 7 with vmware-tool installed. The cursor is free in and out between Guests and the Host and must be auto-hidden when it is moved outside of the Guest.

PS: My english is not so good, I hope u may understand what i wrote and don't mind if something looks impolite.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

If you r the moderator, please note this and hope it can be fixed finally.

Rmk: The WS 7.1 has been released and the bug is still in there!

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

thanks for the report. What's the full spec of your host system i.e. make/model, video adapter? Please also upload your vmsupport bundle, thanks.

0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

Do i have to bundle the zip when the problem occures?

It's not so easy to do that when the host is colourful or even crashed.

Mainly Hardwares:

MB: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 BIOS v.F8.

Mm: G.Skill 2GX2 DualChannel DDR3 F3-12800CL9D-2GBECO

VC: nvidia Geforce9400 GT

HDD: WestenDigital WD10EVDS

-

Virus clean.

0 Kudos
rharry
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

no, just wanted it for the info it contains about the host/settings.

0 Kudos