VMware Communities
dm3000
Contributor
Contributor

Win10 guest crashes- Stop Code: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

I am running the latest vmware workstation pro and win10 creators update on guest and host.

The guest locks up frequently , often it seems when I am doing a browser request.

When this happens, the vmware is using around 50% CPU, but nothing in it is responsive. When I kill the guest, the host displays the error message.

Stop Code: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

What failed: tcpip.sys.

The error is in the vmware window, it is not a host blue screen.

It is possible the blue screen is due to me killing the vmware task, but I am not sure.

I have tried reinstalling wmware and that did not help.

Anyone know what the cause might be or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Dave

IMG_20180102_095252.jpg

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

These crashes were related to memory corruption (probably caused by a driver).

Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.  Please run verifier first.  You do not need to run memtest yet unless verifier does not find the cause, or you want to.

If you are over-clocking anything reset to default before running these tests.

In other words STOP!!!  If you do not know what this means you probably are not

1-Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)

2-Memtest. (You can read more about running memtest here)

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
dm3000
Contributor
Contributor

Randhir, thanks for the suggestions.

I can confirm that the blue screen was related to the vmware lockup and not killing the vmware task. I let it sit for a while after the last lockup and it switched over the to blue screen.

Also, before I get to your trying suggestions, I decided to turn of WebRoot antivirus, and run with windows defender in the guest. There was an issue last month with WebRootlocking certain user directories and causing problems with some applications. This was fixed in a recent WebRoot patch, but I figure there could be other problems.

It has only been a few hours, so it is not definitive, but I have not locked up since turning off WebRoot.

-Dave

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

A kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL (Interrupt Request Level) that was too high.

Usual causes are a device driver has a bug and attempted to access invalid memory, the pagefile has been corrupted or there is a memory problem.

tcpip.sys
is labeled as the culprit in both of the dumps which is the Microsoft TCP/IP driver (networking related), however it is not the true cause as it's a system file and another device driver or form of hardware is faulting it.

Usually with network related BSOD's they are caused mostly by 3rd party antivirus of firewall conflicts, however as I said above, different device driver bugs / corruption and hardware are possible as well, just not as frequent.

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos