VMware Communities
albourg
Contributor
Contributor

Win 95 installed, cd-rom unvisible, how to install VMWare tools or change resolution

Dear all,

I use VMWare 6.5.3 on windows xp pro 32 bits, having 1 dvd-rom, 1 floppy, 2 hdd's

I "ghosted" partitions of an old pentium-1 computer having the following config:

Win 95 first edition

3 ide hdd's (9 partitions)

2 scsi cd-roms

1 floppy

In vmware, I created virtual disks, booted from a floppy image; created partitions and restored from ghost images.

Computer boots and application work fine... only in 640x480 16 colors, and cd-rom is not visible (tried ide, scsi, ...): no letter for cdrom appears and lastdrive=z in config.sys.

Actually, I don't need cdrom but need to install vmware tools to increase resolution, but clicking on button asks me to launch <CdRomDriveLetter>\setup.exe, which is very difficult if you don't have any cdrom driver letter available.

So my questions:

Is it possible to download win 95 vmware tools to install them, or to find where these are on the pc?

OR

How do I see my cdrom in vmware if Guest is win95?

Regards,

Alain

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

1. mount the win95 vmdk with your XP-host and copy the contents of the pre-2k-tools -iso manually into the vmdk

2. copy the contents into the running Win95 via network

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

albourg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I could install vmware tools... But I still couldn't get more than 640x480 16 colors. I tried a win 95 first edition and a win 98 second edition.

It never reboots in a better resolution, even after removing from device manager all vga drivers and adding the vmware one in display / properties.

Any hint?

0 Kudos