VMware Communities
somethingcleve1
Contributor
Contributor

Win 7 freezes after a few hours, SSD issue?

Hi folks,

I am running Windows 8.1 (up to date) and VMware Workstation 9.0.3 build-1410761. I have only 1 vm and that is a Windows 7 vm.

I've had this vm for over a year now, but this problem started about 5 days ago. I'm able to start the vm and start using it for a few hours. Mostly playing music over spotify and working on some documents. Randomly, the entire os (windows 7 vm) will freeze, mouse will lock up, music stops, and I'm unable to get any response from the vm so I "CTRL+ALT+ENTER" out of the vm and my main machines OS (Window 8.1) is running fine. However, when I open Task Manager and go to Performance, I notice the C drive (main drive) is missing (It's normally there as Disk0). When I go to My Computer I'm able to see the C drive, I can copy files and delete them just fine, however the disk does not appear in the performance tab in task manager. I'm then forced to "end task" vmware workstation as it's not able to power off the vm.

I'm not sure if this is the cause, but I did change to a Samsung 840 evo SSD a month ago and this problem has been repeatably been occur for the last 5 days.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

somethingcleverish

0 Kudos
0 Replies