VMware Communities
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Win 7 Uninstall Workstation 8

Hi,

I'm trying to completely uninstall Workstation 8 but can't seem to do it on Win7 32 bit OS host. I did a search on the web site and there are instructions for manually removing/confirming that eariler version were uninstalled but not this version.

I'm using the Win7 control panel to uninstall and it completed without errors. However, when I reinstall Workstation, it doesn't ask me for the license number as it typically does on an installation. Yes, I checked the box to delete the license.

The problems with my current installation had me wondering if I should just do a clean install and try again. Right now my guest machine is running incredibly slow and when I try to map a drive using vmware from the workstation panel, it looks like it maps but I get a Windows error saying it can't locate the drive (z:).

When I installed workstation, I already had player installed on the PC so that was uninstalled then workstation installed automatically. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you do the uninstall of Workstation 8, note the location of where the installation folder of the Workstation program resides. Next, make sure that the program is gone in the installed programs box by doing the traditional uninstall via Microsoft Windows.  After the verification of the program is deleted, go to the installation folder location and make sure that the folder is not there for Workstation 8. The Workstation serial number can be found in the Windows registry. Click Start > Run. Type regedit and press Enter to open the Windows registry editor. Find the Workstation serial number in My Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > VMware, Inc. > VMware Workstation > License.ws.5.0 > Serial. Delete the key.

Note: For the 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows Vista, the serial number is located at My Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > VMware, Inc.> VMware Workstation > License.ws.x.x > Serial. Delete the key.

Then reboot the Windows OS.  I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abirhasan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please do the followings thisng, may help..

1. Open the disk management, it will give you more realiable data. From here you can change the characters assigned to devices.

2. It is possible that the "lost device" is "aligned" by another one. The reorganization of disk will help (acording to 1).

abirhasan   
0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

mgerbasio wrote:

Right now my guest machine is running incredibly slow and when I try to map a drive using vmware from the workstation panel, it looks like it maps but I get a Windows error saying it can't locate the drive (z:).

I'm pretty sure that drive mapping is busted in WS8 on Win7 as per here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1828809#1828809

So maybe that's not an install related issue.

alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you do the uninstall of Workstation 8, note the location of where the installation folder of the Workstation program resides. Next, make sure that the program is gone in the installed programs box by doing the traditional uninstall via Microsoft Windows.  After the verification of the program is deleted, go to the installation folder location and make sure that the folder is not there for Workstation 8. The Workstation serial number can be found in the Windows registry. Click Start > Run. Type regedit and press Enter to open the Windows registry editor. Find the Workstation serial number in My Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > VMware, Inc. > VMware Workstation > License.ws.5.0 > Serial. Delete the key.

Note: For the 64 bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows Vista, the serial number is located at My Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > VMware, Inc.> VMware Workstation > License.ws.x.x > Serial. Delete the key.

Then reboot the Windows OS.  I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I opened disk manager but it doesn't show the vm disk. Not sure what you mean by the other suggestion to reoganize the disk.

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wayne, Thanks that looks like the problem. Too bad.

0 Kudos