VMware Communities
mschwarm
Contributor
Contributor

Win 10 (1709) - Word still cannot save to shared folder on Workstation 12.5.9

With Win 10 Fall Creators update (1709) update MS Office Programs on virtual machines could not save to shared folders. I realized this after the update and switched back to Win 10 1703 which work fine. For VMWare the issue apparently is well known. A lengthy thread (see thread https://communities.vmware.com/thread/574399?start=120&tstart=0) discuss this in detail for Fusion. At the end a solution was indicated with a new version of VMWare Tools.

So I waited and now updated VMWare Workstation 12.9.5 (build 7535481). De-installed and re-installed VMWare Tools. I Hoped that the issue is solved. Unfortunately not. VMWare  Tools are still the same version as in version 12.5.7 (10.1.6 build-5214329). WORD and other MS Office Programs  still cannot save to shared folders.

Without saving out of MS Office programs directly to shared folders productive work is jeopardized. The workaround to save to drive C: of the virtual machine and then copy to the shared folder is not a solution in the long run.

Is there a way to save out of Word directly to shared folders in Workstation 12.5.9? Any help is really appreciated.

Martin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You need to use VMware Tools 10.2.

0 Kudos
mschwarm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will give it a try. But VMWare Tools 10.2 are not easy to find on the VMWare website.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

See:

Download VMware Tools 10.2.0

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mschwarm
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed VMWare Tools 10.2.0. However, virtual printing feature does not work any more. Apparently the drivers for virtual printing are not included.

How can I use printers of the host again in VMWare Tools 10.2.0?

Thanks for help.

Martin

0 Kudos