VMware Communities
Radio1
Contributor
Contributor

Will VMware ever work on the networking

<rant>

ESXi has such a great GUI when it comes to the networking.  It also has the features that make sense.  Will Workstation ever work the same way?

I would expect that there should be minor improvment is a minor release say 8.1.2 to 8.1.3 (made up numbers) and major improvements in major releases say 8 to 9.  I have noticled little to no real updates in the virtual network updator.  Who in the software dev team has something so against fixing it?  I know many of you will say that it is just fine and for some it may be, but I don't want fine.  I want better.  These are some of the things that should have been added by vesion 7 and we are on 9.  Please consider adding them, or at least smaking the people who are against it.

1.  Add the ability to NAME the networks.  Numbering them 1-9 is fine for some, but why not have a nice custom name that we can use.  This could even map to the same name if a vm is transfered from ESXi to Workstation or visa versa.

2.  Nativly supprt VLAN's.  I understand that this may be difficult to do, but I know it has to be possible.  I also understand that not all network cards will be supported, but thats ok too.  As long as some do.  I dont even ming using an intel server nic if thats what it takes.  I have to create a dozen virtual network interfaces on my computer to accomplish this.  This gets very messy.

3.  Support more than 10 interfaces.  Come on, the linux version supports a bunch.  Why can't the windows version?

4.  Put a "More detail" button in the edit virtual machine network tab so we can see what the network we are choosing actually does.  It is better than having to close the Edit VM box and open the virtual network editor to jog our memory.  Even a button that simply opens the virtual network editor would be great.  This would be less necessary if a programmer over there could actually do point 1.

</rant>

0 Kudos
0 Replies