VMware Communities
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why upgrade?

I'm a relatively happy user of VMWare Workstation Pro.  Started with player, bought 14, upgraded to 15, looking at 16.

Scanning through all of the posts in the first few pages here, the only thing I can conclude is "upgrade to help VMWare debug."  But that's just the old fart, got the t-shirt and scars in me.

But seriously, is their a succinct list of things I need or might want as a developer?  I really don't care about cloud integration and what not.  I use VMs to isolate customers, protect code bases and development environments, and make system backups trivial.

Appreciate any advice.

Labels (3)
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What's New from the Release Notes: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16/rn/VMware-Workstation-16-Pro-Release-Notes.html...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
CharlesGilley
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Scott, I'll take a look at it.

btw, I just read an article that your CEO wants to take all products to a subscription model.  That whooshing sound is all of the small developers leaving VMWare.... just a side note.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@CharlesGilley wrote:

Thanks Scott, I'll take a look at it.

btw, I just read an article that your CEO wants to take all products to a subscription model.  That whooshing sound is all of the small developers leaving VMWare.... just a side note.

IMO, the ONLY people who like a subscription model of software licensing are the software vendors - I don't know a single user who thinks it's a good idea!  One main reason I've stuck with Quicken 2017 - the last version they released before going to subscription.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Some product lines have been subscription only for a while now, others have only ever been available on subscription.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos