VMware Communities
jartim
Contributor
Contributor

Why is the guest video resolution reset to 640x480 when the Workstation window is resized?

Sometimes when I minimise or re-size the workstation main window, the displayed guest window resolution gets re-sized to 640x480. This doesn't always happen but when it does it is permanent until I reset the guest's resolution manually.

I'm using the latest Workstation 6.5.3 build 185404 with XP service pack 3 as the host and W2k service pack 4, XP service pack 3 and Vista service pack 1 as the guests and the same thing happens on all of them.

Does anyone know how to stop this happening ? Please help!!!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Have you installed the VMware Tools inside the guest 7347_7347.gif ?

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
jartim
Contributor
Contributor

AWo-

Yes, I have VMWare Tools installed in all my guests, and they are all up to date.

This is a problem I've been having for some time.

I hoped that with updates etc. it would get solved and go away, but unfortunately that hasn't happened yet.

Tim

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

How ist you "View" (Autofit, etc.) menu configured for this guest?

AWo

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

0 Kudos
jartim
Contributor
Contributor

AWo -

Here is how I have it configured -

Sometimes, even though I don't have 'autofit guest' selected, the guest is resized when the workstation window is taken out of full screen mode.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I have autofit guest selected and that works fine for all guest OS I used so far under Workstation (Linux, W2K3, XP).

AWo

0 Kudos
jartim
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I agree, but the application that runs on the guest has many windows in a specific layout - it is not easy to use it when it gets re-sized down to fit in the 640x480 window when the guest gets re-sized.

What I want (and normally it works well) is when I re-size the VMWare workstation window (to get access to the host temporarily) the guest resolution stays at 1920x1200 inside the workstation window. Normally this works, but every now and then it doesn't and the guest gets re-sized to 640x480, even though the auto-fit setting is off.

Tim

0 Kudos