VMware Communities
bwheatley
Contributor
Contributor

Why is VMware Workstation 12 Server not starting after rebooting Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?

Hello,

I've done a fresh install of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and tried to install my licensed Workstation 10 but found it not working. Therefore, I uninstalled 10 and downloaded the trial version of 12. Everything worked properly on the initial install including the VMware Workstation server. When I did a reboot the VMware Workstation Server no  longer starts.

This is the latest VMware workstation 12 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
djbarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 12.1.1 (probably what you're running) doesn't support Ubuntu 16.04 on the host. Some people have managed to get it working but it's not a supported configuration.  Hopefully Workstation 12.5 (announced today, free upgrade) will support it.

0 Kudos
bwheatley
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so I finally figured this out.

The shared virtual machines are located on a separate physical drive from the boot drive. I edited the mounting options for the partition to "/media/brian/VM" and both VMware Workstation and VMware Workstation Server are running the virtual machines. Note that "brian" is the user name for the account that I log into when I start the machine.

0 Kudos