VMware Communities
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Why is VMware Sphere 2015 Beta listed as a ESXi OS rather than ESXi 6

ESXi  OS "VMware vSphere 2015" is now GA with the new  ESXi 6. In the ESXi  OS dropdown    list for creating a VM  It should be replaced with ESXi i 6 .  This is a very sloppy oversight.  Please correct   this in the next point release of WS 11 -

Also  compatibility with Linux kernel 4.00 of course! You will get  to this of course or will you wait for WS  12 which most  likely (IMHO) never be released.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
newbie93
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I sincerely hope that VMWare fixes 11 (especially USB passthrough devices that worked in 10 and still don't work in 11) before they even THINK about starting on 12.

I bought v11 last year and I still can't use it because USB is still so badly broken. I am not going to buy any newer version untill what I have now (v11) is fixed and works at least as well as v10 did, I have been pretty loyal since v6 came out....but this latest is not acceptable.

v11 was released too early (IMO).

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I'm surprised and disappointed  that r VMware did not have the courtesy to say they will fix the supported ESXi OS list from v phere Beta to ESXi 6. This is merely a cosmetic change   You already have Windows 10 as supported - but it  has not yet been released as has ESXi 6

Actually VMware vSphere is not really an OS.  Try booting the ISO.  It can only be installed on Windows.

What do you tell people with a support contract?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I am not a PM or dev so am not in a position to answer this 100% but for me the answer is very simple.

Workstation 11 was release before vSphere ESXi 6 was released and the version that was available at the moment of the release was the beta version.

I am sure that the next version of Workstation will update the list to what is currently available and tested.

And as you say its only a cosmetic issue and should be treated as such.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos