VMware Communities
sprionas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why is VMWare Workstation v8.0, fail to launch a 52 GB .vmdk file, stored on a Western Digital 4 TB large, MyBookLiveDuo external HD, model 2713D?

The error message indicates that "the file is too large"!!!  However, the application runs perfectly well, if the same52 GB .vmdk file, is stored on the 😧 drive of the host machine!!!  (The host OS is MS Windows 7 Enterprise).  Thank you!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Dual Drives have been formatted by Western Digital, (however, the format is NOT specified by WD). I assume that the format is NTFS.

Not sure why you'd assume NTFS since it's not a Microsoft device.  NTFS is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft and as such WDC might have to have a license to distribute a device formatted with NTFS and that would probably increase the cost of the device.  Anyway, WDC uses a free Open Source Linux OS to control the "Personal Cloud Storage" Device and it's formatted ext4.

Please note that the application runs perfectly well, if the same, 52 GB .vmdk file, is stored on the 😧 drive of the host machine!

I would not use a monolithic virtual hard disk when running over the Network and instead use a split disk.  I'd also consider using a preallocated split disk if it was reasonable in size compared to the size of its contents.  This will be much better if using Snapshots and or disk repair if needed and when running across a Network expect to have disk issue.  Besides which if it will not run from the "Personal Cloud Storage" Device at that size and being a monolithic virtual hard disk then you really don't have much option but to convert it to a split disk! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rainey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What format is that USB disk FAT or NTFS ? Is it MBR or GPT.

What is the host OS and what is the guest OS?

I have run many VM's from a USB drive before without issues.

As the error states the file is to large it would seem that your setup can not handle large files.

0 Kudos
sprionas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The WD "My Book Live Duo", is a Network Drive.  (Not a USB Disk). The Interface is Gigabit Ethernet. The capacity is 4 TB. The Dual Drives have been formatted by Western Digital, (however, the format is NOT specified by WD). I assume that the format is NTFS.

Please note that the application runs perfectly well, if the same, 52 GB .vmdk file, is stored on the 😧 drive of the host machine!!!  (The host OS is MS Windows 7 Enterprise).

0 Kudos
sprionas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Western Digital "My Book Live Duo", is a Network Drive. (Not a USB Disk). The Interface is Gigabit Ethernet. The capacity is 4 TB. The Dual Drives have been formatted by Western Digital, (not specified by WD). I assume that the format is NTFS.

Please note that the application runs perfectly well, if the same, 52 GB .vmdk file, is stored on the 😧 drive of the host machine!!! (The host OS is MS Windows 7 Enterprise).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

rainey wrote: What is the host OS and what is the guest OS?

In the OP sprionas says "(The host OS is MS Windows 7 Enterprise)." and in the attached Capture1.JPG it shows the VM as being "Windows 7 x64 Enterprise"! Smiley Wink

I have run many VM's from a USB drive before without issues.

In the subject line is says "MyBookLiveDuo external HD" and a "My Book Live Duo" is a "Personal Cloud Storage" Device  not a USB Device.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The Dual Drives have been formatted by Western Digital, (however, the format is NOT specified by WD). I assume that the format is NTFS.

Not sure why you'd assume NTFS since it's not a Microsoft device.  NTFS is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft and as such WDC might have to have a license to distribute a device formatted with NTFS and that would probably increase the cost of the device.  Anyway, WDC uses a free Open Source Linux OS to control the "Personal Cloud Storage" Device and it's formatted ext4.

Please note that the application runs perfectly well, if the same, 52 GB .vmdk file, is stored on the 😧 drive of the host machine!

I would not use a monolithic virtual hard disk when running over the Network and instead use a split disk.  I'd also consider using a preallocated split disk if it was reasonable in size compared to the size of its contents.  This will be much better if using Snapshots and or disk repair if needed and when running across a Network expect to have disk issue.  Besides which if it will not run from the "Personal Cloud Storage" Device at that size and being a monolithic virtual hard disk then you really don't have much option but to convert it to a split disk! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
sprionas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear rainey, and WoodyZ,

Thank you both very much, for your feedback, your time and effort.  I really appreciate it.

WoodyZ, your reply indicates the extensive depth, and width of your knowledge.  Thank you very much for your detailed explanations, and recommendations.  Based on your feedback, I looked into it some more, and I came across the following suggestion, from Mr. Simon Seagrave:

http://techhead.co/vmware-workstation-cannot-open-one-of-the-virtual-disks-needed-by-this-vm-because...

Apparently, you can tell VMware Workstation, to skip checking any underlying disk file size limitations, (e.g.: 2 GB), by adding the following line to the VMs VMX file.

Simon recommends the inclusion of the following statement, in the .vmx file:

diskLib.sparseMaxFileSizeCheck= "FALSE"

I have done so, (by placing it at the end of the listing), and I am very happy to report that the system was able to proceed forward, and eventually launch the VMware files, just fine.  The only additional warning, indicated that disk writes may be slower, (see Capture2.JPG).  However, from a practical point of view, my initial test runs show that there is NO noticeable speed degradation.  So, for now I an good to go, and hopefully, this "fix", will "survive the test of time"!  If NOT, then we will revisit the issue.

Thanks again for the generous use of your time, and your knowledge.  I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Stavros

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While using diskLib.sparseMaxFileSizeCheck= "FALSE" gets you around the issue allowing you use the monolithic disk nonetheless  IMO that is the wrong approach to take.  Not only is there more latency in network connectivity, whether or not you perceive a difference or not, there is also a much greater change for disk corruption over the network vs local storage and using split sparse or preallocated split disks will be more beneficial then monolithic when it comes to repairing, which will happen and happen more often then local storage! Smiley Wink  Also Snapshot management requires less free space with split vs. monolithic disks.

Anyway if your happy just with a .vmx tweak glad you got it working.

0 Kudos
sprionas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear WoodyZ,

Your comments are very thorough, and accurate. So, I will make sure to take the time, and institute the safe and correct approach, as indicated in your most recent suggestion. But as you say, it is rewarding to see the system running again… In my case, I have several, similar versions of VMWare, each one occupying ~50 GB, which was the key reason for looking into the WDC cloud solution… Trust me, I do agree with your suggestion, and I will pursue it, as soon as possible.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Stavros

0 Kudos