VMware Communities
MarkTheodoras
Contributor
Contributor

Why choice of VMware Workstation Windows or Linux version

I am ready to purchase VMWare workstation... but in reading specs of either windows or linux versions, I see "Runs on both Windows and Linux host operating systems"

I have almost new DELL and a Gateway laptops with Windows-Vista installed. The gateway I dual boot now with Red Hat RHEL5. the Dell I want to put VM on to allow both Vista and RHEL to run at the same time. (no I don't care if I can't do the vista-aero style...)

So, Should I buy VM Workstation - Windows ? or VM Workstation - Linux ? or does it matter.

mark.theodoras@epeerless.com

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should run whatever OS you are most comfortable with on your Host.

Personally I would recommend running Windows on your Host, espeically if you like to play games or have other Windows-only programs that you like to use.

MarkTheodoras
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - a "few" more things I use work in windows, but not RHEL...

BUT aren't the guest-OS's fully functional, whether they are the host or not ? EG, won't my windows programs operate, whether windows is the host, or one of the guests ?

Knowing little, I would probably pick the VMWare Workstation Windows version, since the laptops arrived with windows functional first.

But I am kinda puzzled given my assumption that as a "guest" os, Windows and/or Linux should be fully functional.

-vmware newbie

0 Kudos
djaquays
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The windows/linux versions are referring to the HOST operating system, not the guest. The vast majority of x86 operating systems will function just fine as a guest in either version.

0 Kudos
MarkTheodoras
Contributor
Contributor

Great... another twist... I'm now running Vista 32bit and/or RHEL 64bit dual-boot.

Would I need the 64bit "host" os to support a 64 bit guest (and surely a 32 bit guest)

In other words, if I run Vista 32 bit as a host, would that prevent RHEL 64 bit as a guest ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you have a recent 64 bit CPU you should be able to run redhat 64 on your win32 host

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hardware and Firmware Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

0 Kudos
MarkTheodoras
Contributor
Contributor

After buying and installing, I understand a bit more

VMWare runs "inside" of the host OS, you manage it from there. I "live" in windows, so the VMWorkstation Windows was the correct version.

Newbie point: you do not have to provide a new empty partition for guest OS's - VMWare will provide one from disk space in your host OS.

Another: Several have said I CAN host RHEL5-64 bit in a virtual machine, even with VMWare running on a Windows 32 bit host. Have yet to try it, but I'm told to use BIOS Setup to enable CPU Virtualization

Currently I put RHEL5-32 in a virtual machine - works nicely. put RHEL-64 in separate boot partition, now Vista refuses to boot. "Cannot find BOOTMGR" - did VMWare move the boot thing someplace the RHEL installer didn't expect ? Guess time to search the community, etc. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> put RHEL-64 in separate boot partition, now Vista refuses to boot. "Cannot find BOOTMGR"

did you install it using the "use physical disk" option ?

0 Kudos
MarkTheodoras
Contributor
Contributor

Installed to the Use Free Space, I think that's the wording - to put it in the unused partition

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sorry - never heard about a "Use Free Space" option ...

You have 3 options when creating a new virtual disk:

1. create standard virtual disk

2. use existing virtual disk

3. use physical disk

0 Kudos
MarkTheodoras
Contributor
Contributor

"RHEL-64 in separate boot partition, now Vista refuses to boot"

I did not create a new virtual disk. After VMWare put to windows, did successfully put RHEL32 in a virtual machine There-After, I powered on - the laptop, not VM with the RHEL-64 disk in,

and proceeded to install for a "typical" dual boot. I'm wondering if VMWare moved Vista's boot to where RHEL's Grub boot manager installer did not expect...

0 Kudos