VMware Communities
mmohp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why can't "Shared VMs" not allow to share folders with the host and why does copy/paste not work on them? :-((

I want to set up a "mini build-server" for our team. Since VMware Player is not supported anymore I had to use VMware Workstation and I somewhat successfully have set things up. But now more and more annoyances surface!

To allow the autostarting of VMs they obviously need to be "shared". But it seems, that with that there goes the nuisance that these VMs cannot share folders any more with the host. And it also seems, that Copy/Paste does not work with these "shared VMs".

Is there a work-around to get these features working also with "shared VMs"?

It is VERY annoying and time consuming to always have to shuttle these VMs between shared and non-shared mode just to be able to transfer some data or new code versions to them!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tracywang
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for using Workstation. How about create a script with:

vmrun -T ws start "c:\my VMs\myVM.vmx"

And add the script to Windows Task Scheduler to run at startup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for using Workstation. How about create a script with:

vmrun -T ws start "c:\my VMs\myVM.vmx"

And add the script to Windows Task Scheduler to run at startup.

0 Kudos
mmohp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks - that solved my issue!

Appreciated it!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Good to hear your problem was solved, but I am wondering about something you said.

Since VMware Player is not supported anymore I had to use VMware Workstation

VMware Player is still supported just fine, so not sure what you are referring to, yes it has been renamed into Workstation Player, but that's about it.

See also: VMware Player Support, Training & Technical Documentation

and in particular this a snipout of the lifecycle document you'll find on the above

pastedImage_2.png

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos