VMware Communities
Old_Spilly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why can't newly installed XP guest OS see network

I'm a complete VMWare newbie (tho' quite an old IT hand).

I've searched the forum, but couldn't find any obvious clues. I apologise if I haven't looked well enough

I am trying to help a friend install some very old AutoCAD software on his Win 10 x64 setup.

This version of AutoCAD has issues with unsigned drivers etc, so we're trying an XP Virtual machine route.

I've just installed Workstation Pro 12, created a new VM, bunged in an Original Microsoft XP SP3 non-OEM install disk and entered a product key from a long dead box.

Everything installed OK, so I logged on to XP to look around...

...Er, no it didn't install OK.  It didn't install the VM tools on creating the VM, possibly because I did a full OS install.

So I had to google for help, start a service that was stopped and then the Tools would install OK

THEN I logged on to look around my new VM...

1) Where is Windows Explorer?  Or do you have to navigate from My Documents or My Computer every time?

2) Where is Internet Explorer?  How can I browse the web?  Or can't I??

Ping says   "Can't find host"   for any valid web address e.g. bbc.co.uk or google.com

3) Why are only 3 services running in the VM??  (namely: Plug and Play;   Remote Procedure Call; and    Windows Audio - no wonder I can't ping!)

4) Windows hasn't activated. I'm not sure if I ought to worry or not at this stage in XP's life.  Any ideas?

5) And a supplementary question - Is Workstation Pro the best product?

We really want minimum cost, as there will be very little use of the AutoCAD application

So what steps have I not done?

Or am I worrying unduly and it's all somehow covered by the VM environment ?

- though I'm blowed if I can see HOW VMware can drive this XP machine in its present state.

Hoping some VMWare guru is willing to put me straight

Old_Spilly

PS I've twigged how to switch devices from host to guest

Also I've tried to install my old AutoCAD software, which is why I'm using VMWare anyway

Inevitably there are issues to resolve here as well, but first things first

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

AutoCAD 2002 ?  ... reminds me of good old times. Smiley Happy
That used to work pretty well in a XP-sp3 VM. It even worked nicely from a BartPE LiveCD.
What you report looks like the Easy-install had failed for some reason.
Last week I installed an XP-sp3 on top of WS 12 and that worked without any problems.
Well - Internet Explorer from that time is more or less unusable - I only use it once to download Firefox.
Try another setup with the "I will install later" option.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Old_Spilly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Supplementary info on network

Network adapter setting is   NAT

IPCONFIG /ALL results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pat-9f7df487693
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : localdomain
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-E4-7D-16
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.220.254
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.220.2

old_spilly

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome at the VMware Communities forum.

Not even sure if you still can install Windows XP from scratch.. but that would be the same on physical hardware.

To answer a few questions:

- as you say there are not enough services running, your install did not work, it really should look like a normal physical install.

- yes your Windows XP still has to be activated in order to work

- you might want to try and run the normal install, not "easy install" or whatever it is called and do the normal OS install steps by hand and then install VMware Tools afterwards.

Not sure if I would want to give a virtual Windows XP network access either.

Workstation Pro sounds as the correct product if using commercially. If using non commercial then VMware Workstation Player might be sufficient.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Old_Spilly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil - Helpful, thanks

Yes I did an easy install, so I can redo it longhand, no problems

(I wonder why I didn't see anything unusual during the install, but I didn't)

The use is definitely non-commercial.

All we want to do is create an old environment in which to install and then run some old licensed software (AutoCAD 2002)

Network access would only be for convenience of adding any tools or other patches I might need on the way.

If I remove WS 12 Pro from the host and instead install VMPlayer, can I then create an XP environment into which I can install the AutoCAD?

And then run AutoCAD on demand thereafter??

And all without having to pay new licence fees too ???

That's the goal

NB I don't think we have any imaging tools installed - unless VMware has them already

BTW  Why would you not allow network access to an XP VM? 

I thought XP would be totally encapsulated in the VM, so the host system would therefore be 100% safe

Please put my thinking straight.

Old_Spilly

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Unless something changed in version 12, as soon as the trial runs out VMware Workstation basically just reverts to being VMware Workstation Player.

In that case you can only run virtual machines using the included Player.

If not, then yes you can uninstall Workstation Pro and install Player. Right now however my suggestion would be to keep going with Workstation Pro as it has a few extra features such as the ability to make snapshots. (see VMware Workstation vs VMware Player for the differences - scroll down for the workstation vs player differences)

Non commercial use of VMware Player is still free! If you already bought Workstation then well.. keep Workstation as it has a lot more features.

As for "imaging solutions" well there is VMware Converter which you can use to convert a physical image to a virtual one.

If you however create one from scratch then normally you get a much better behaving Virtual Machine as one that has been converted from physical.

As soon as you give your Windows XP network access it poses a risk. Especially when you start browsing the internet with it or emailing etc..

Yes you are correct that you would normally just infect the Windows XP guest. The problem however is that that guest also has access to your network and a lot of the malware nowadays tends to spread via the internal network. So it would be best NOT to give it access to the network.

You can still share file via the built-in file sharing that's in VMware Tools (Host Guest file sharing) that you can use to share a folder on the host to be accessed by the guest.

For such an outdated OS I tend to give it read only access.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Old_Spilly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Wila

Really helpful comments.  I'll try to do clean re-install of XP next.

I'm curious to see if it activates...

(It's an MS supplied plain vanilla CD with SP3 included - no bloatware)

Old_Spilly

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

‌It is only the OEM (Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc) versions of XP that automatically activate. Retail versions, including the OEM versions that were sold in stores, have to be activated by going online and connecting to the Microsoft activation servers or by telephone. To minimise the security risk I would go for the telephone option.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

AutoCAD 2002 ?  ... reminds me of good old times. Smiley Happy
That used to work pretty well in a XP-sp3 VM. It even worked nicely from a BartPE LiveCD.
What you report looks like the Easy-install had failed for some reason.
Last week I installed an XP-sp3 on top of WS 12 and that worked without any problems.
Well - Internet Explorer from that time is more or less unusable - I only use it once to download Firefox.
Try another setup with the "I will install later" option.

0 Kudos
Old_Spilly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@continuum

Thanks. It was indeed the quick install which fell over. 

A rebuild of XP SP3 came up pretty normal and I could then make some progress on my testing.

(BTW XP activated OK on the MS automated telephone system using an old XP license key from a long-dead Siemens box.)

I was trying VMWare to get around an installation licensing problem with a UK version of AutoCAD 2002

- wondering if my issue was somehow related to a Windows 10 x64 environment.

Unfortunately, even though I have all the original boxed software & docs, licence authentication still fails on starting ACAD

Here's my Autodesk forum posting about it. http://goo.gl/7ayomU

Reckon we'll have to abandon ACAD in favour of a freeware option.

0 Kudos