VMware Communities
neeks2013
Contributor
Contributor

Why can't I disable the VM Workstation window when entering unity?

I'm a web developer who recently made the switch back to a Debian OS. The only programs I need not offered on my OS are the Adobe CC apps. After a bunch of frustrations of trying RDP and VMWare's unity mode; I decided to stick with unity mode. Now one of the only things that bugs me is the unnecessary program window that remains open when I enter unity mode. Is there anyway to disable this or will VMWare consider making an option to disable in the future? I want a seamless integration of Windows apps, I use "ALT + TAB" to cycle through programs and this window is really getting in the way and also consuming space in my dock.

Screenshot from 2013-07-29 13_40_43.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Professor_F
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to be a long-running problem with Unity with no solution and no comment from VMware Smiley Sad

Minimize to Tray while under Unity...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Professor F wrote: and no comment from VMware Smiley Sad

That's not true as mdunn-vmware, a VMware employee, did comment in that thread.  Have a look at: Re: Minimize to Tray while under Unity...

0 Kudos
Professor_F
Contributor
Contributor

It *is* true since mdunn-vmware's comment is not constructive at all and does not therefore count. I absolutely agree with halilgurol's reply in the same thread.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Professor F wrote: It *is* true since mdunn-vmware's comment is not constructive at all and does not therefore count. I absolutely agree with halilgurol's reply in the same thread.

I'm not going to argue with you however you explicitly and specifically said "and no comment from VMware" and as such is categorically not true as a VMware employee did state "We've discussed this in the past, but we haven't come up with a solution that we like and which tests well with users." and whether or not you or anyone else feels it was constructive or not is irrelevant as you made a statement that was false! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Professor_F
Contributor
Contributor

OK, let's not argue, but put it this way: mdunn-vmware's comment does not state which (exact) problems prevent making unity more convenient neither it does state when or how this problem is going to be solved.

So that the comment mentioned does not fully cover this issue and does not resolve it as if it was not written at all.

Moreover halilgurol gave general view on this topic, which later proved to be indeed general by other comments. this view needs to be addressed by VMware, but still no answer. Hence "no comment from VMware".

In other words "neeks2013" is searching for an answer for his specific question. I'm pointing to the topic which has related discussion in it. This topic has a vague answer from VMware worker effectively making problem not solved.  Hence "no comment from VMware".

If you still cant agree with me so be it.

0 Kudos