VMware Communities
BSchor
Contributor
Contributor

Why can't I connect to a Serial Device using VMWare Workstation 10 (Win 7 Host, Win XP Guest)?

I have a controller whose code is downloaded through a serial port (COM4 on my system).  The software development package was designed for Win98, but runs on Windows XP (but not on Windows 7).  With the "demise" of XP, I decided to create a Windows XP VM (using VMWare Desktop 10).  I've verified that the Software package runs, and can modify and compile my code.

I'm having problems, however, getting the software to communicate with the Controller.  My PC has COM1 built-in and an add-in card with COM3 and COM4.  I configured VMWare by adding Serial Ports until I got ports called Serial 3 and Serial 4, assigned them to COM3 and COM4, respectively, and removed the other ports.  I can verify that my VMX file contains notations for COM3 and COM4.

I set up the Virtual Ports to match the settings of the physical ports (e.g. 38.4K, N-8-1).  However, when I try to communicate over this port, it doesn't seem to "connect" to my controller.

I tried the following test (using the unused COM3).  I have another device that accepts Serial Commands and will send data out over the Serial Line.  I used a Serial Communication Test program that lets me send commands, shows responses, and also monitors things like RTS/CTS.  In Windows 7, using the "real" ports, I have no problem communicating, and getting data back.  When my device is first connected, it sets RTS/CTS, as a matter of fact.

When I try the same thing in my Windows XP VM (Virtual ports set the same way as the Physical ports, same Serial Test software), nothing happens. When I connect my device, I do not see RTS/CTS set, and when I send a command that should produce a response, I get no response.   [The physical connection, of course, remains the same -- my device is connected to PC Port COM3, which I hope is connected to VM Port COM3]. 

Any ideas?  Is this a "bug" or a "feature" (and if it is a bug, am I the culprit, not having set something up correctly)?

Bob Schor

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies