VMware Communities
toca1337
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why are there 2 Network Adapters from VMNet?

I am experimenting with Virtual Windows that is now native with Windows 7. I noticed that VMware Workstation installed at a minimum 2 network adapters (VMNet1 and VMNet8) in the host system, whereas Virtual Windows installed only 1 network adapter.

What is the extra adapter for? This means in the host system, there is now a minimum of 3 networks (1 from the host and 2 VMware).

Can I disable one of them? Do I need them both (or either) if I am using bridge mode?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default VMware Workstation offers three networking options:

VMnet0 (bridged) - that is the connection type used for virtual NIC's which connects the guest transparently to the physical network.

VMnet1 (host-only) - that is a virtual switch/network where only the guests and the host can participate

VMnet8 (NAT) - that is a virtual switch/network which connects the guest to the outside but hidden behind a virtual NAT device. SO it can''t be seen from the outside world.

There's a another option, called "custom" where you can decide how this should work, guests only, for example.

All these networks are independent from what you use in your guest. You can add vNIC's to your guest of each type, only one or more or mix them....

If you use bridged networking you can disable them on the host if you like. Disable the VMware DHCP server service then, as well. But you also can keep them running. They do not harm your environment.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

Edited by the German Ministry of the Interior

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default VMware Workstation offers three networking options:

VMnet0 (bridged) - that is the connection type used for virtual NIC's which connects the guest transparently to the physical network.

VMnet1 (host-only) - that is a virtual switch/network where only the guests and the host can participate

VMnet8 (NAT) - that is a virtual switch/network which connects the guest to the outside but hidden behind a virtual NAT device. SO it can''t be seen from the outside world.

There's a another option, called "custom" where you can decide how this should work, guests only, for example.

All these networks are independent from what you use in your guest. You can add vNIC's to your guest of each type, only one or more or mix them....

If you use bridged networking you can disable them on the host if you like. Disable the VMware DHCP server service then, as well. But you also can keep them running. They do not harm your environment.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

Edited by the German Ministry of the Interior

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos