VMware Communities
SomeVMWareUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why Windows 2000 Installation is stuck? Also, the guest OS sounds are chopped

Windows 2000 keeps being stuck at "Setup is starting Windows 2000". Please help, I've tried all the possible solutions, like turning off acpi in the configuration file, waiting many time, but nothing happens. It will stay forever stuck like that. What is causing that? 🤔 (Doesn't work on VMware Player, either)

Also, the guest OS sounds are chopped whenever they are played. If I want to solve this, I have to keep Windows Media Player open in background to hear them normally, which is a painful solution. How to solve this too?

SomeVMWareUser_0-1615128039408.png

And yes, my OS is Windows 10 20H2.

Thanks for making VMware the best product ever for vms, I will even keep using it if you fix this problem or If there's a solution to this problem. I appreciate any kind of help.

Log file attached.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
S_D
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm not with technical support, so don't take my analysis as expert, but I didn't find anything in the logs except a hung installation.  It's as if the installer runs into something that it then chokes upon.  Have you removed all unnecessary devices, picked Windows 2000 from the list during the VM Creation wizard, and dumbed down all the remaining devices to Y2K levels?  My last thought is that I did find install instructions for Win2K on Workstation 3.x (I believe it was 3.2) and they were pretty specific.  Use your Google-Fu and see if you can find those steps and recreate them as closely as possible in Workstation 16.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
SomeVMWareUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh and, I forgot to mention, I know right there were topics about this made, but their solutions didn't work.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I believe you need a slipstreamed Installation disc with SP2 or higher installed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
S_D
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What version of Workstation are you using, and what do the logs say?  Any errors?  https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1346

SomeVMWareUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using Workstation 16.1, and as for the logs, here is it, in a zip file.

And also, RDPetruska, that Installation disc has SP4 inside.

0 Kudos
S_D
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I'm not with technical support, so don't take my analysis as expert, but I didn't find anything in the logs except a hung installation.  It's as if the installer runs into something that it then chokes upon.  Have you removed all unnecessary devices, picked Windows 2000 from the list during the VM Creation wizard, and dumbed down all the remaining devices to Y2K levels?  My last thought is that I did find install instructions for Win2K on Workstation 3.x (I believe it was 3.2) and they were pretty specific.  Use your Google-Fu and see if you can find those steps and recreate them as closely as possible in Workstation 16.  Good luck!

SomeVMWareUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I think. And yes, I have picked Windows 2000 from the list, but the thing I forgot is to allocate disk space, which is why it took long I guess.

And yes, it was 3.2: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/ws32_guestos6.html#1014413

0 Kudos