VMware Communities
maxim_iliano_s
Contributor
Contributor

Which is the best hosts configuration for comfortable work of three guests OS?

Hello everyone!

Tell me plz which is the best hardware hosts configuration should I choose to start about 3 guests OS at the same time.

I have VMWare workstaion 8 and I need to start e.g. two Win 7 and one Win 8 together.

Help me to choose:

CPU (number of cores \ frequency \ company)

HDD (type \ company)

RAM (value \ frequency)

MB (model \ bus frequency)

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It depends on what you plan to run on the guests. Usually it's the memory which is the limiting factor, so I'd suggest you get a decent system (e.g. s.th. like an I5 CPU with 16GB memory) Personally I have an I7-2600 with 16GB RAM and an SSD for the VMs, and I'm having no issues (except for memory usage) with running multiple VMs.

André

weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - If you need decent performance from 3 VMs running concurrently ensure you have sufficient memory and processors - for memory I would make sure you have twice the physical memory than what you are assigning to the VMs and double the number of cpu cores to the number of virtual cpus you are assigning (e.g. each VM has 2 vcpus you should have 12 cores)

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
maxim_iliano_s
Contributor
Contributor

The main task for all guest OSs is files searching and files verification. so it will be a numerous disk\files accesses. (I test an desktop antivirus)

Dear André and what about SSD - what's the  company manufacturer?

0 Kudos
maxim_iliano_s
Contributor
Contributor

weinstein5, thx for good idea! I remember this advice.

and thanks for the welcome!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm using the Samsung 830 (the new model would be the 840 PRO) connected to a 6G S-ATA port.

André

0 Kudos
maxim_iliano_s
Contributor
Contributor

Ok! thanks a lot for your answers!

And the question about MB. Tell me plz a brand and a model of your MB. (it is very interesting to me)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's an OEM model of an Elitegroup mainboard, but I think this doesn't relly matter much. I actually purchased the PC from a discounter, and just made sure it contains the SATA-3 (6G) ports to be able to attach my SSD.

André

0 Kudos
maxim_iliano_s
Contributor
Contributor

Dear a.p. thank you for answers! so I've done my choice!  )

0 Kudos