VMware Communities
davep123
Contributor
Contributor

Which VM product do I need ?

Hi all

Newbie here to VMware.

I want to run a VM (windows 7 or 10) from my home NAS drive and share access to the the VM to family.

But which vmware product will do this job, (and are they free) ??

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You can use your NAS for storage, but will need a computer to install VMware on.

You could use the free VMware Player if you'd like, sounds like the best fitting product.

Download VMware Player

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
davep123
Contributor
Contributor

Wila,

Thanks for the reply.

Can I install VMware player from a PC onto my NAS.

The idea being my nas is always on, so if I could have a vm running windows from my nas that would be ideal.

I'd rather not leave my PC on all the time, just so I can access a VM running on it.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
jenken
Contributor
Contributor

it'll depend on what kind of VM specs and applications are you wanting to run and if your NAS can support the spec.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

While one could build himself a NAS where that would work (basically then just a PC with disks) the answer normally is no.

If you bought a NAS, then I am not aware of a brand that has the processor and operating system that will allow you to install VMware Player on it.

VMware Player has to be installed on a PC with a intel or AMD 64 bits processor with enough memory to run both the operating system and virtual machines.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos