VMware Communities
TimAttwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where to download VMWare Tools

Where can I download VMWare tools that work with Ubuntu 11.04?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

JSYK Ubuntu 11.04 is not a supported Guest (or Host) OS in VMware Workstation 6.0.4 and I do not know if the version of VMware Tools in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 will work properly with VMware Workstation 6.0.4 however either first backup the VM or take a Snapshot and you can try with the following file.

After downloading, you untar the tarball and then execute the resultant .exe file .  This should extract the linux.iso file to the VMware Workstation working directory at which point you should be able to select Install VMware Tools normally or if necessary point the CD/DVD to the linux.iso.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What version of VMware Workstation are you using and what Host OS is it installed on?  The VMware Tools in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 should work with Ubuntu 11.04 and there is always Open Virtual Machine Tools.

0 Kudos
TimAttwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using VMWare Workstation 6.0.4.

Host OS is Windows XP.

> The VMware Tools in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 should work

Will that work with 6.0.4? If so, where can I download it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

JSYK Ubuntu 11.04 is not a supported Guest (or Host) OS in VMware Workstation 6.0.4 and I do not know if the version of VMware Tools in VMware Workstation 7.1.4 will work properly with VMware Workstation 6.0.4 however either first backup the VM or take a Snapshot and you can try with the following file.

After downloading, you untar the tarball and then execute the resultant .exe file .  This should extract the linux.iso file to the VMware Workstation working directory at which point you should be able to select Install VMware Tools normally or if necessary point the CD/DVD to the linux.iso.

0 Kudos
TimAttwood
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As the version of VMWare tools I have doesn't work at all (init.d changes, upstart jobs?), trying something else couldn't work less Smiley Happy

Just tried the download...

ISO image gets silently installed into my Workstation directory. I can mount it in the guest OS. Un-tarring and runing the install script had no errors. Rebooted and vmware-user started automatically and vmware-toolbox seems to work just fine.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos