VMware Communities
Hanzcho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where is the option to change adapter type?

Hi All,

This might sound really dumb, but where in the world is the option to  change the network adapter type? I want to change it from e1000 to vmxnet3. I have a windows 7 guest machine.

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I don't think it is available in the Workstation VM settings UI. So you'd have to edit the vmx configuration file of the VM. You would need hardware compatibility version at least 7 (change this in the UI) not the vmx. So if you are on the latest 12, just make sure you are on 12.

Backup the vmx file before editing as a precaution.

Example: changing first adapter

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" change to ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

If you have more than one adapter, you would see ethernet1, ethernet2, and so on.

It is best to change to vmxnet3 after installing VMware Tools. I don't think the vmxnet3 driver is included in a guest OS such as Windows and only installed after VMware Tools is installed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I don't think it is available in the Workstation VM settings UI. So you'd have to edit the vmx configuration file of the VM. You would need hardware compatibility version at least 7 (change this in the UI) not the vmx. So if you are on the latest 12, just make sure you are on 12.

Backup the vmx file before editing as a precaution.

Example: changing first adapter

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000" change to ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"

If you have more than one adapter, you would see ethernet1, ethernet2, and so on.

It is best to change to vmxnet3 after installing VMware Tools. I don't think the vmxnet3 driver is included in a guest OS such as Windows and only installed after VMware Tools is installed.