VMware Communities
NombreApellido
Contributor
Contributor

Where is Vmware on 3D acceleration and OpenGL support?

Hello

I wonder where is vmware currently on opengl support for the guests?

If I buy the latest Vmware workstation and install it on my linux laptop which have opengl working (with the nvidia driver) can I play new games like d3, sc2, wow on a guest machine?

The old dos games which don't require Opengl like gta1, sc1, diablo1 are just running fine on my Workstation9 install on the top of Linux but for example I couldn't play Quake in vmware.

I try to avoid installing windows on my laptop, matter of fact the only reason why I would use this OS is to play games.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

The only new thing is that you can specify up to 2Gb or video ram to your virtual machine, no new other rendering capabilities beyond what you get in Workstation 9. There is of course always bugfixes etc...

There is a 60 day eval version to try if you would like to test anyway.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
NombreApellido
Contributor
Contributor

Yes but by just throwing the vm more video memory it won't be able to do opengl from that.

I wonder if they have that planned for the future.

It's possible to run some games with Direct 3D on the guest like Half life 1 but they will be ugly and extremely slow.

0 Kudos
SimonBesner
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know about the game you mentioned, but I know that Half-life 2 use to work under Workstation 7.  Since Workstation 7 (and Player 4), a bug has been introduced by VMWare and the game can't be played anymore.

If you can install it, I'd say take a look at the VMWare Workstation 7 to see if the game rendering is better.

0 Kudos